IGNORED

question about my deck.

Kype

so when we did our home inspection before moving in sept 2019 the deck did not pass inspection for obvious reasons. somehow someone install the 4x4s that hold the deck up without any footings:shock: all the posts were pirate legged and the deck was severly compromised. 

so they called in a contractor to fix it. i guess out of pure laziness the guy just installed 6x6s just behind the old exsisting 4x4s. and left the 4x4s standing. 

im sick of looking at the old 4x4s and im wondering if i take the 4x4s out there would be to much of an overhang? 

its measures 52" from the end of my deck to the middle of my new 6x6s

KIMG1932.thumb.JPG.8d92b2e59ff360ebfe243bcfbe1e73c8.JPG

and yes, im trying to grow grass:praying:

The attorney for whoever sits there and it collapses will ask you one thing. "Sir, do you rent or own the home that my client is seeking to possess ? "

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

12 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Yes, 52” would be too much 

I would move the 6x6 columns to where the 2x4s are but you need to check the code to make sure it is not too much of a span for 6x6s above 

I am looking at your picture and I’m thinking your joists are 2x10s? 
is so at 16” OC they can overhang only 36 inches 

8 minutes ago, jerseyhunter said:

I believe your allowed to cantileaver 1/4 the distance of your floor joist providing they are sturdy enough to handle the load.  ie 2x10's

type into your search engine allowable distances to cantilever 2x10

Agree, my 3’ was based on 12 long deck of 2x10

also the deck passed inspection because we were able to close on our house. but did it pass inspection because the old posts were still there? or did it pass inspection solely on the fact of the new posts and girder being installed? 

2 minutes ago, Kype said:

from my house to the end of the deck is 12 feet. its a small deck. 

So if you joists are 2x10 you maximum overhang is 3’.

I bet you could move the 6x6 sright behind the 4x4 columns and then remove the 4x4s

Edited by Lunatic

11 minutes ago, Kype said:

also the deck passed inspection because we were able to close on our house. but did it pass inspection because the old posts were still there? or did it pass inspection solely on the fact of the new posts and girder being installed? 

Could of passed because someone knew someone 

18 minutes ago, Kype said:

Yes, it passed because the old post reduced the length of the overhang. Your deck would have to be little over 17’ to make the 52” overhang ok

Edited by Lunatic