IGNORED

Who Hunts From a Saddle??

I primarily hunt out of a saddle. I find them much more comfortable than tree stands, mostly because I think it takes the pressure off the lower back. I use a teathrd mantis, its fine for what it is. 

On my preset stands I use the seat of the hang on as my platform & have pre drilled trees with bolts to climb.

On the mobile set ups, I use a Mission platform, but find it to be too big. I will be transitioning to a ring of steps next season. For climbing I use Lone wolf sticks. 

Some things I would recommend: 

-Specifically for the mobile set up I would recommend investing in a high quality bow hanger, something that goes into the tree nice and easy. Those cheap ones are a pain especially in the dark on hardwood. The cheap ones work but why work harder than you need to? 

- Put hockey tape on the carabiners, they will clink against the tree if you give the tether slack.

- Practice with sticks, especially if you use the rope mods. 

-  Shoot out of it and every angle possible. Figure out the tension you need in your tether to move freely. Prussik knots can be tricky especially when deer are around. 

I recently picked up a Tethrd Phantom and a Cruzr XC. The Phantom is very minimalist and the Cruzr is like a lounge chair. I ended up returning the Cruzr being I prefer small, even though I am not that small (5’10” @ 195lbs. 36x30 jeans). For footing I use a Tethrd XL platform. 

After a few sits I definitely prefer the saddle to a treestand, way better on my lower back. 3-4 hour sits in my Lone Wolf my back would be sore. 3-4 hour sits in the saddle and I feel good. Peeing is no problem at all from the platform and saddle. 

My hunts out of the saddle have been a 1 mile plus walk in to my spot. I wear my merino wool bottoms and my merino wool pants on my walk. I walk slow. For my top it is usually my merino wool base layer. At base of tree I add one layer and third layer is in my backpack. I like to hunt ridge tops, so long uphill walks. And I have yet to have an issue. Your physical fitness will also help with the walk. 

Edited by Ron

I am the Lorax - I speak for the trees. 

9 minutes ago, Ron said:

I recently picked up a Tethrd Phantom and a Cruzr XC. The Phantom is very minimalist and the Cruzr is like a lounge chair. I ended up returning the Cruzr being I prefer small, even though I am not that small (5’10” @ 195lbs. 36x30 jeans). For footing I use a Tethrd XL platform. 

After a few sits I definitely prefer the saddle to a treestand, way better on my lower back. 3-4 hour sits in my Lone Wolf my back would be sore. 3-4 hour sits in the saddle and I feel good. Peeing is no problem at all from the platform and saddle. 

My hunts out of the saddle have been a 1 mile plus walk in to my spot. I wear my merino wool bottoms and my merino wool pants on my walk. I walk slow. For my top it is usually my merino wool base layer. At base of tree I add one layer and third layer is in my backpack. I like to hunt ridge tops, so long uphill walks. And I have yet to have an issue. Your physical fitness will also help with the walk. 

Interesting most review are showing people pick the cruzer over phantom. To each his own!

Walks not a problem.  How about layering once your up tree in saddle?

38 minutes ago, splitrockoutdoors said:

Interesting most review are showing people pick the cruzer over phantom. To each his own!

Walks not a problem.  How about layering once your up tree in saddle?

If I was going to pack in the saddle and then put it on, I probably would have stuck with Cruzr. Someday I may own a Cruzr for late season hunts with heavier clothes. 

I have only added upper layers while in the tree. Maybe could add a pair of pants with zippered legs. You might be able to have the bridge come out from the waist. But I would not take it off in the tree to add a lower layer. 

I am the Lorax - I speak for the trees.