IGNORED

Cablevision. FYI

230jhp

In case people didn't notice Cablevision has activated HBO; Showtime and Cinamax for free. I assume because people are stuck at home. A nice jesture from a company I otherwise dispise.

I'm watching"A River Runs Through It" right now. 

BTW the fly reel they use is a Phluger Medalst. Basically the same reel I use today on both my 6wts.

Edited by 230jhp

1 hour ago, RPK0620 said:

Those reels are like Pork Roll...... a great traditional item to be cherished and enjoyed ! :happywave:

Not only that the drag mechanism, as cheesy as it looks, works really well. I have landed 3pound+ trout with a 7X tippet on mine

7 minutes ago, 230jhp said:

Not only that the drag mechanism, as cheesy as it looks, works really well. I have landed 3pound+ trout with a 7X tippet on mine

Click and pawl is the mechanism.  I have two old Pflueger Medalists myself.  Haven't fished them in decades, but I cherish them because one was my dad's and the other he gave to me.  

2 hours ago, 230jhp said:

In case people didn't notice Cablevision has activated HBO; Showtime and Cinamax for free. I assume because people are stuck at home. A nice jesture from a company I otherwise dispise.

I'm watching"A River Runs Through It" right now. 

BTW the fly reel they use is a Phluger Medalst. Basically the same reel I use today on both my 6wts.

My old boss, Joe Urbani, did all the fish work for the movie.  His shadow can be seen crouched next to a huge boulder in the big fish scene if you know what to look for.  I have lots of useless trivia about that movie.  They used three different casters for the various fly fishing scenes.  You have to look very closely at arm hair to notice it's not the same person.  Also, the big cutthroat that the Brad Pitt character catches is actually two different fish - one a female and the other a male.  That was to make sure they didn't die as PETA was present on the filming at times.  No "hooks" were used, but Joe stuck each fish with a large needle and looped some strong tippet through their lips and then the anglers "fought" the fish with their fishing line tied to the mono loop in each fish's mouth.  

Like I said, useless trivia  :)  

32 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Like I said, useless trivia  :)  

And here is some more !

I heard that when he was fighting the fish going downin  the river that there was a plastic milk bottle on the end of that line that he was fighting.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

1 minute ago, RPK0620 said:

And here is some more !

I heard that when he was fighting the fish going downin  the river that there was a plastic milk bottle on the end of that line that he was fighting.

True.  Joe used a one gallon plastic milk jug roughly half filled with water tied to the line.  That was the "fish".  The girdle bug they were imitating we know of today as the salmonfly or the Pteronarcys californica  stonefly.  They reach lengths of nearly 3".