IGNORED

has anyone smoked their thanksgiving turkey?

Kype

Yes!! Smoked turkey has became my new favorite. Unfortunately have only been experimenting with just the breast, but I don’t see the difference between that and whole turkey. Just will have to cook a little bit longer. Simple recipe I could send you that has worked great for me. PM if your interested in the recipe. Just remember always cook to internals not for time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what about stuffing the turkey? yes or no. if yes, then with what? or just tie the legs, tuck the wings, and let it smoke? 

thanks for the replies guys, im gonna try it. i will post the progress on this thread throughout the day on thursday

It’s one of the best!  What works for me/my recommendations:

1. I do not recommend smoking a very big bird (anything over 14 lbs) at lower temps. It’s best to smoke at 275 but a bigger bird you should bump up to 300-325. This prevents you from having the meat at “danger zone”temp for too long. Make sure you fill your guests with tasty turkey and not salmonella!  And never stuff a bird to get smoked  again...temps are too low and you’ll risk salmonella and your stuffing will not properly cook.

2. Poultry smokes best with a water pan. A dry smoke makes for a super dry bird. I take a water pan directly over the fire/element and above your chips with 1/2 gallon of water and throw in whatever open cheap bottle of wine you have laying around. The steam and smoke generated makes for the tastiest most juicy bird you’ve ever had. 

3.  I’ve read a lot here about brining a bird but a smoked bird should NOT be brined!!  When frying a turkey yes...the brine gives flavor as the oil does not provide any flavor. When smoking a bird, however...the smoke provides the flavor!  Brining will actually limit the smoke from flavoring your bird!  I simply rub the bird down before putting it in with a little seasoned salt. It helps to give the skin more crispness....and gives a nice texture to the skin. 

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Edited by delvalhunter

Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, "Aw, who cares?" And then I think, "Hey, what's for supper?"

Spot on advice Delval.

If you like " Disney Type Turkey Legs" from Amazing Ribs recipe. Super easy. I do them several times a year. I'm doing the cure now for 12 hrs. Remove and rinse tonight. Air dry in fridge over night. They go on before the turkey. 300 plus, no water in pan, about an hour to 160. I take off while bird is smoking, 15 minutes before dinner quick sear on gas grill to recrisp the skin and warm up. These make the best Pea/Lentil soup afterwards. my turkey will look like an octopus.

IMG_20191127_084321.jpg

Going to be challenge today. This is the type of day Electric Smokers are worth the money! Drinking lamp going to be set ablaze sooner than I planned 
IMG_20191128_113356.thumb.jpg.14b597955910c67246b661481e71c95c.jpg
IMG_20191128_113551.thumb.jpg.ce7ce019aa87aaf3822800550d838c78.jpg
Yes it is mine is holding within 5f of the set point in this wind which I think is goodScreenshot_20191128-115250_RECTEC.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!" - Chesty Puller