IGNORED

Silent Turkeys?

Batsto

Where I have been hunting  there is a tremendous amount of tracks, scratches and dusting spots, but for the most part there is limited Gobbling and practically no sounds from hens. Is this type of behavior due to predators, possible hikers or is it something else? My spot is in the Pines with limited visibility. 

My place has always been crazy with gobbling every year.  I had alot of coyotes on trail cam this year.  The turkeys are either quiet because of them or the coyotes have been eating good.  

"think how dumb the average person is, then remember half of them are dumber than that"

Turkeys do what turkeys do when they feel like doing whatever it is they feel like doing. That's turkey hunting. If there is sign they are there and they hear you. Many times they don't answer and come in silent. I hunted a spot today that I have taken many birds off of for 4 hours and not a peep. It didn't surprise me because in that one one spot they alway slip in silent. 45 minutes after hunting time had passed a friend of mine sent me a picture of ten birds walking 50 yards from where I was. It happens.

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

This trend has been continuing for the last 10 years, turkeys for the most part DON'T gobble as much as they used to. Let's face it, almost anyone can kill a gobbler that lets you know where he is all day...killing silent turkeys is what seperates the men from the boys.

If you are seeing recent sign, you are probably in the right place, just keep at it, it will all line up. :)

Edited by Stan Putz

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

Turkeys come in silent more than we might think.  When I use to take my 10 year old son hunting we stayed put more than running and gunning.  We had many turkeys come in silent this way.  Sometimes they would scare the hell out of us because they would surprise us with a gobble not more than 3o yds or so away before we could see them.  If there is sign there are turkeys and turkeys do what turkeys do when they want to do it. 

Not sure if it was because of hunting pressure, location or the fact that it was 20 years ago but when I used to hunt upstate ny the birds were much more vocal.  Back then I would've never considered sitting down and calling unless i had a vocal gobbler respinding back to me.  They used to shock gobble at owl hoots and crow calls too which made it much easier to get in position.  In NJ, I'm not sure if I've ever heard one shock gobble to an owl or crow call.  They are also definitely quieter.  I just got nailed yesterday by 2 longbeards when I got up from calling and assumed nothing was coming in.  Not a good feeling.  

12 hours ago, Batsto said:

Where I have been hunting  there is a tremendous amount of tracks, scratches and dusting spots, but for the most part there is limited Gobbling and practically no sounds from hens. Is this type of behavior due to predators, possible hikers or is it something else? My spot is in the Pines with limited visibility. 

All of the above!Adapt and improvise.Only the strong survive.Amazing what I have seen through my life in the different area's and time's of my hunting nj.Call me nuts but I lived it!The animals talk.Like generation's  and experience.Depends on environment. I can rattle in a deer in blairstown but not denville.Hunting NJ especially NJ especially public land takes makes for a challenge,the animals pattern us in there yard,I see there pattern and change mine,total confusion..

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

1 hour ago, Hightech-Redneck said:

Hunted zone 8 this week, saw turkey every outting, but never heard a gobble, yelp, or drum. Couldn't connect with any long beards though. Still a great week and learning experience. Time period C is probably going to be a good one

I have Period B and was just thinking the same thing.