IGNORED

It's Been Recommended if You Want to Try

archer36

Lunatic, it’s not being boiled in water, it never touches the water. Sous Vide means under vacuum, meat is vacuum sealed or put in ziplock and must be seared so you aren’t eating “boiled meat”. If you go out to eat and get Prime rib or stuff like that you definitely have eaten meat Sous Vide style!

1 minute ago, Hitemnasty said:

The great things about it is the “set and forget” and the easy clean up after. That 5 lb rib roast took 7 hours FYI. 

it's a good method of cooking for the appropriate time. Since it's almost foolproof, you don't have to worry about overcooking. Sort of like smoking low and slow or a crock pot. When grilling, you can't walk away since an extra few minutes could change your meal from mouthwatering to a piece of shoe leather. 

A few more tips.

While a dedicated sous vide container really does work best, you could use a plain old stock pot with perfect results.

If you wanted to try the technique, without actually buying the machine, you could get some pretty good results using a thermometer, a heavy pot and your stovetop. You just have to really monitor the water temp every few minutes and heat as needed.

Brine your fish! Wet or dry, It really does make a difference and only takes a few minutes.

Question to the experts. Has anyone used a pot as flat9999 suggested and put it on the stovetop at a very low flame in addition to the Sous Vide machine? It would aid the machine in regulating the temp. I understand that it cannot exceed the desired temp you are looking for. Just thinking?

1 hour ago, DV1 said:

Welcome to the site.

What kind of container are you using with the cooker?

Any thinker plastic or metal container large enough for the water to circulate, I just use one of my larger pots on a hot pad and plug it in right on the kitchen counter.

1 hour ago, archer36 said:

Question to the experts. Has anyone used a pot as flat9999 suggested and put it on the stovetop at a very low flame in addition to the Sous Vide machine? It would aid the machine in regulating the temp. I understand that it cannot exceed the desired temp you are looking for. Just thinking?

Do not put on any flame defeats the whole purpose, thicker and larger cuts will take longer to penetrate the desired internal temp. A flame may even damage your machine. This can not be rushed its a low and slow thing, if you want fast get an insta pot.

1 minute ago, archer36 said:

Nah, wasn't trying to fool anyone. I just saw that pic on one of the groups I belong to: Venison. The Reason We Hunt.  Thought I would pass it along.

Since you started this yesterday and my buddy Crippen711 made some backstrap with it the other day it has me thinking about one. The older I get the less I like meat cooked. I was always well done person but now I like a nice medium.