IGNORED

Rutgers developing a fishery model re: male/female fluke harvest

Bonefreak

With all the chatter of female fluke being the larger fish in the population, and regulations forcing anglers to harvest female fluke, I have informed by a reliable source that Rutgers is going to study male/female fluke harvest. 

My source said fishery science is where wildlife management was back in the 1930s.....

Which is why it makes no sense to harvest female fluke out of the population......when the biologists want to thin deer herds.....they increase the antlerless harvest......why would they use same strategy for fluke!??!

makes sense, but who is to say that if they lowered length restriction to say 16" or 15", and kept limit at 3 or 4, that even those could be females? 

What would be needed is say out of all fluke retained 18-20" what percentage are female?   20-22"?  22-25"?  > 24" ?

From that data, I think perhaps, some more appropriate regs could be enacted, such as maybe a slot limit, where you can only keep 1 fish over 24", etc...   But - who would be happy with that???

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

35 minutes ago, rgw said:

I will say 90% of fluke over 18" is female. 16" to 18 " 50 % ratio. I say one fluke 15"to 17" and 2 over 18"

Or ban commercial fishing for them and up recreational limit to5 fish 15" or better.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….