IGNORED

The Idaho Elk Journey: "Preparing for the trip"

Matty

My brother and I are flying into Salt Lake City Utah and driving up from there. The others are flying into Idaho Falls.

We'll be camping/hunting in the mountains of the Targhee National Forest North and West of Idaho Falls. I know that's a humungous area, and I'm sorry to be so extremely vague, but it's not my spot and I don't know how Dan would feel with anything more specific.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Thanks Tom!

Jerseyhunter, the highest peak is just over 12,000 feet near camp, but theres no timber up there and I doubt I'd ever get up there even if there was. lol

The majority of our time will be between 7,600-9,800 feet.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Thanks!

All the gear is shipped. Just have to climb on a plane next week.

Then climb up some steep mountains with my bow, 40# pack and food. :ballchain:

Will do Joe!

Thanks again all. Leaving now and hope to return with a lot of pictures, stories and maybe some elk meat.

Good luck to everyone around here. Be safe, shoot straight and have fun! -Matt