IGNORED

Finally back in the woods

Buck154

65 is awesome number to find.  I hike a lot too but generally only find a few.  But, like you said, search-image is everything.  Even tho it's still way too cold, I am always looking for that jagged black band on a rattlesnake or the copperhead's hourglass pattern and so I am sure I've walked by many antlers that were in plain sight.

5 minutes ago, LittleM said:

65 is awesome number to find.  I hike a lot too but generally only find a few.  But, like you said, search-image is everything.  Even tho it's still way too cold, I am always looking for that jagged black band on a rattlesnake or the copperhead's hourglass pattern and so I am sure I've walked by many antlers that were in plain sight.

If i was up north where you are i would be look for snakes too. They are very neat but i have never came across one here in NJ yet. Keep saying i,m going to go up there and do some hiking and looking for them.  

20 hours ago, Buck154 said:

"One in a parking lot"   think you have to walk a little further into the woods....lol

Main thing is you have to find their late winter/spring bedding. Go on overcast day and not sunny days. Look for only a small piece of antler and not the entire antler. Can't be looking for tree stands, rubs or deer. Carry a antler with you and keep throwing it out in front of your self to get your eyes adjusted and focus for the antler. Plus I walk on average a mile for every shed too. Have to put on the miles. Helps me is that I'm done work by 1:30 every day too.

I've done a bunch of looking on different properties but my ADD kicks in which never helps . Thank you for the tips , if I ever get done working 14 hour shifts right now I'll get back out and really try to put some miles on. 

The one in a parking lot was very odd to say the least . It shocked me for sure. 

Nice find's!

If i was up north where you are i would be look for snakes too. They are very neat but i have never came across one here in NJ yet. Keep saying i,m going to go up there and do some hiking and looking for them.  

Oh there up here,not as many as years ago though,when it gets warmer timber rattlers sun on the rocks,camp mohican.Copperheads,sunfish pond.

Snake expert.... he used to have a hike/hunt.....https://biology.tcnj.edu/our-people/faculty-profiles/howard-reinert/

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:02 PM, Bad64chevelle said:

Very nice ! What's the trick ? I've found two . One in a parking lot at work , one while setting up on a new property this passed season . Both by sheer luck . 

I'm not in 154s league, but I've found a few, and the thing I look for is "white". Check out everything White. I found a real nice quartz stone head once, too.

Nice finds John!

without me, my rifle is nothing

• 4 weeks later...

Well looks like no more shed hunting thrill next spring. It's been weeks since I have been out and everything is getting green and growing to much. Ended the season with 67. My new personal best season. Beat my old record by 23. 

Edited by Buck154

8 hours ago, Buck154 said:

Well looks like no more shed hunting thrill next spring. It's been weeks since I have been out and everything is getting green and growing to much. Need the season with 67. My new personal best season. Beat my old record by 23. 

Wow that's a lot of horns.  :up: