IGNORED

No Need To Bait In 2018......

BHC

This state will soon become a no bait state eventually... like most other deer hunting states. The number of violations will sky rocket and the DEP will fill their pockets. Most states don’t allow baiting, guys should learn how to hunt without it.

I don't think so but that would be a shock to Many hunters in NJ

This state will soon become a no bait state eventually... like most other deer hunting states. 

I don't think so, too much of the state is residential areas with too many deer.  In these areas bait is needed to draw the deer into areas where they can be shot and their numbers controlled.  In a state like NJ this takes priority over recreational opportunities.        

so here is how I look at baiting vs. not baiting. If you are on state game lands and tell me that you don’t bait and you move with your climber to areas you know are “runs”. Then you are just cutting off someone else and masking it as hunting. I don’t know how it is in the north but down in south jersey you can’t walk 200 yards in most state woods without finding someone’s pile. So if you want to compete you bait. If not you just cut someone off.

Now I've heard it all! If you aren't baiting you are cutting someone else off that is!? My god people, what ever will you do when you cant dump a bag of corn on the ground any more.

I do don't really get the "cut someone off". If you think this way then every time someone kills a deer he cuts you off.

I don't really know what is the right way for public land in NJ but I couldn't see myself being a slave to a spot in order to hunt. That's not exciding hunting to me but that's just me. The only way I would ever hunt public land in NJ would be taking everything out with me every single hunt.

I’ll try to put it another way. You know baiting is legal in NJ, right? So if your on public land and see a bunch of activity in a particular spot do you look for a possible hunter or do you just set up and tell everyone how great you are they you found this awesome spot.

Now I've heard it all! If you aren't baiting you are cutting someone else off that is!? My god people, what ever will you do when you cant dump a bag of corn on the ground any more.

Obviously another private ground hunter from north if I had to guess. I will guarantee you if you find a run here in the south it runs right to a bait pile. And along with that there will be at least 8-10 bait piles in a small parcel. So with the amount of baiting going on you aren’t being competitive or you are sitting up someone’s ass hoping they don’t realize you are doing it. Or you are one of those people and that’s what offended you!

Not always the case. Last two season I kayaked to a spot and over 8 weeks never saw a deer movements all at night

the deeper woods of north jersey is different then south jersey......north has many deep hills, valleys, and ravins, rougher land means the average lazy hunter will not go deep in. I hunt very deep, and I may see one hunter from day 1 till the last day....

Obviously another private ground hunter from north if I had to guess. I will guarantee you if you find a run here in the south it runs right to a bait pile. And along with that there will be at least 8-10 bait piles in a small parcel. So with the amount of baiting going on you aren’t being competitive or you are sitting up someone’s ass hoping they don’t realize you are doing it. Or you are one of those people and that’s what offended you!

I think I would take up bowling

without me, my rifle is nothing

I’ll try to put it another way. You know baiting is legal in NJ, right? So if your on public land and see a bunch of activity in a particular spot do you look for a possible hunter or do you just set up and tell everyone how great you are they you found this awesome spot.

I am not really arguing with you, just trying to understand since I never heard this term before.

Well if you find a great spot then you find a great spot. It isn't like you didn't find it because someone found it first, no? They claim Columbus found America but the Indians were already here :happywave:

it took me so many years to find the location I hunt now......It took me watching deer, scouting, and just observing deer movement.....no bait, no cameras, just old school skills passed down from my father. I got lucky to get access to the 40 acres that borders public land, but most of it is a bedding area, I hunt 15 yards on it from the public land. I put bait out but not even within shooting range, it's to take a inventory of what is roaming around. Nearest corn field was 2 miles away, last few years it's just been a over grown field of weeds.....Also any bait I put out, the bears take over unless it's minerals like Lucky Buck, then the bears just come smell around and walk off

I am not really arguing with you, just trying to understand since I never heard this term before.

Well if you find a great spot then you find a great spot. It isn't like you didn't find it because someone found it first, no? They claim Columbus found America but the Indians were already here :happywave:

What I’m saying is if you find this great spot there may be a reason it is so great. In your opinion what would be a respectable or acceptable distance to stay away from another hunter. Yards wise?

What I’m saying is if you find this great spot there may be a reason it is so great. In your opinion what would be a respectable or acceptable distance to stay away from another hunter. Yards wise?

For me 100 yards or more, most likely much more :happywave: . I would not hunt with someone else in the area.

:devil: JMO Before Baiting you Hunted used skills learned and taught. Deer movement was Natural. Deer managed to eat what was available be everything that was browsed or on Planted Farms.

The Idea of baiting goes against everything NJDFAG and other State Management divisions Preached Don't feed the Wildlife so they don't become dependent on handouts. and it takes them off their natural diet. 

Hunting without bait was never used why did they now allow it??  IMO for the same reasons they have 100 days of Deer hunting with more means to shoot them.Along with the numbers allowed to harvest. 

On a recent trip to Dicks, I posted that the amount of area devoted to Means to hunt deer almost a 1/4 of the second floor. Filled with Items to improve chances to shoot deer, It has turned a generation into being dependant on it all. made as someone posted Lazy Hunters since they don't want to carry all that Crap with them very far off the road. Or want to move it all to another area. 

The  :laughing: parts are the posts with He is in My Spot. he walked right passed me. He Cut the deer off from me, he set up a stand only yards from Me. They got bait piles all over the place, Guess they all forgot this is NJ Not PA NY AK. there other hunters doing what you are doing with the same ideas. And as long as there are Lazy Hunters there will be conflict. I haven't hunted for about 15 years but still, enjoy trips to areas I hunted with many that get little pressure In Monmouth, Warren Sussex especially Sussex where I drive RDs and see Deer Bear all the time. But who wants to take the trouble to Explore and hunt the methods needed. Sure the travel distance is long we traveled to Stocks from Union for 6 day hunting for only Monday and Saturday no matter the Weather 2 hour drives before interstates were in place. 

We Scouted many areas during small game season walking the Ridges and Feilds up there so did others but the parking spots attracted the most hunters we would park and walk to spots we picked out days with low hunters the deer would move more Hunters moved the deer. Keep in mind the Herds were Smaller

It is Hunting deer move to where they are comfortable forced into areas by encroachment.  Hunters and Fisherman are Complainers and whiners Competitors even Combative Add the Lazy part and it forms a picture of Deer hunting in NJ.  

Fishing parallels  Hunting With Road fisherman he's in my spot they just passed thru my Chum Slick there are no fish anymore ON & ON. 

I can only draw a picture of NJ hunting by the Posts on here with opinions styles Means all over the Place with an Opinion of If it Floats your Boat whos to Complain or say you are WRONG. 

If any of this seems out of place remember I am Old School with Old Traditions and NJ Hunting in different times and ways.   

funny-friday-pictures-7.jpg

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Yes, one reason could possibly be a bedding area leading to an oak flat. Or even one oak that produces more than others on a down year.

If you have any amount of experience you should be able to tell the difference between a normal deer run and a run leading to a bait pile.

Idk where your hunting but not all public land in south jersey is loaded with bait piles

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Edited by bill43