IGNORED

No Need To Bait In 2018......

BHC

I'm just curious I follow your post and enjoy your pictures.  Are you on Private ground I assume you are.  And I was just having this conversation with my boss about baiting vs. not and if you are on private ground I whole heartedly believe that it is best not to bait, but if you are on state ground it is almost a necessity.

Yes, private

for deer I agree, for bears they sit and watched me put the donuts out, or maybe they thought I was the donut

Yes, bear is a different animal. I don't; have much experience on baiting bear in NJ but I hunted several times in Canada and they don't care how many times you are there. They are on it instantly

I stopped baiting public land years ago when I had some yoyo follow deer tracks in the snow right to my bait spots and he stole 3 of my cameras ( I followed his foot prints from and back to the parking area).….now I'm lucky enough to have a few ac. of my own to hunt and I do bait that since it's not that big and I don't have much room to go hunt deer trails coming to my property...I bait heavy during the winter months when I don't have to really worry about bears and it helps draw deer to my property....here's my bait pile lol (apple mash from a local orchard).....and yes I do agree I see more deer out of a stand on public land without bait then on my own property with bait, the deer seem more alert when coming into a 10 star bait pile but I love running cameras on that bait pile and I do hunt over it with the bow but won't kill anything small or any does ( I'm yet to kill anything )

Small property which does not have natural deer movement is a different story. You then need to improve the habitat or bait.

Edited by Lunatic

I have not baited in maybe 10 years and no BS I am seeing more deer, with more harvest opportunities. No bait forces you to hunt by reading and reacting to deer movement and signs. It is more exciding and less work.

All my 60+ years Deer Hunting ( HUNTING ) never Baited (WHY )  Is The Hunt lost with all the Crap to draw in Deer IMOP it only changes the natural habits of the Animals to become dependant on the Bait in some cases even sick. Natural food should be all that's needed.  

My last visit to Dicks I saw Tons of stuff invented to do the hunting for hunters rather than just Hunting like it was intended. To each their own if you need the help so be it,  

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Small property which does not have natural deer movement is a different story. You then need to improve the habitat or bait.

What is natural deer movement when or if someone Baits next to that small property and the natural movement is affected?   

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

I stopped putting out bait in my deer spot in mid September, and that was Lucky Buck Mineral.....Last week I put out some Lucky Buck with corn on top of it.....and a bear shows up, he showed many times this week

MFDC3545.JPG

What is natural deer movement when or if someone Baits next to that small property and the natural movement is affected?   

Natural deer movement is deer on your property without baiting. There are tons of small properties deer will never walk through for various reasons

I have 40 acres, but it's surrounded by public land, and lots of it

My tips for the property would be:  To have a bait area in the middle with a stand and camera.  It will bring deer in and give you an idea of whats around.  If you get daylight pics at the bait then hunt it.  Also, have other stands on trails, funnels in other spots on the property.  If you are targeting deer when you put out a 50 lb bag of corn spread it lightly over a 50/50 yard area, so the bears can't lay there and eat off the pile. Spread it out thin.  Try to bait at midday. Put a block type "bait" right in front of the camera.  I use a Record Rack Wild Berry block(Tractor Supply).  Not trying to tell you what to do because you are an experienced hunter just offering my "two cents", based on what has worked for me.

Edited by Nomad

Yes, private

so here is how I look at baiting vs. not baiting. If you are on state game lands and tell me that you don’t bait and you move with your climber to areas you know are “runs”. Then you are just cutting off someone else and masking it as hunting. I don’t know how it is in the north but down in south jersey you can’t walk 200 yards in most state woods without finding someone’s pile. So if you want to compete you bait. If not you just cut someone off.

so here is how I look at baiting vs. not baiting. If you are on state game lands and tell me that you don’t bait and you move with your climber to areas you know are “runs”. Then you are just cutting off someone else and masking it as hunting. I don’t know how it is in the north but down in south jersey you can’t walk 200 yards in most state woods without finding someone’s pile. So if you want to compete you bait. If not you just cut someone off.

so true i had  a place just in a cedar swamp i was baiting for about 6 weeks nobody around 1st day of shotgun i could hear deer about 50 yards from me outside the cedars and about 75 in another direction up out of the swamp as it turns out someone put bait in after me in two of the  places i looked before dropping mine.. lol

go deeper, the north woods are a lot bigger as well.

This state will soon become a no bait state eventually... like most other deer hunting states. The number of violations will sky rocket and the DEP will fill their pockets. Most states don’t allow baiting, guys should learn how to hunt without it.

Agree but, I hunt a small property in the suburbs. I don’t bait til mid December when there isn’t much else to eat except woody browse. If I don’t bait, I sit and watch deer eating out of the bird feeders in the backyards of the mansions that border my property. I watch the deer get up, walk 50 yards from their beds to the bird feeders, stuff themselves, walk back 50 yards and lay down. If I don’t bait, they never come near my property once the leaves drop. These people do this so they can take pics of the deer and send them to their friends back in their old neighborhood in NYC and tell about moving out in the country. Smh...

I do don't really get the "cut someone off". If you think this way then every time someone kills a deer he cuts you off.

I don't really know what is the right way for public land in NJ but I couldn't see myself being a slave to a spot in order to hunt. That's not exciding hunting to me but that's just me. The only way I would ever hunt public land in NJ would be taking everything out with me every single hunt.