IGNORED

Man shoots himself with crossbow

mattg1500

Wow, tough crowd. In my eyes, a fellow hunter got hurt, and I'll pray for a speedy recovery for him. Accidents happen, and usually to those who are comfortable and confident with the weapon. I know two guys who were unfortunate enough to find themselves on the business end of their own weapon. Was it from carelessness? Yes, but I wouldn't classify them as stupid or careless people, just had bad judgement at the worst possible time, and the worst case scenario happened. Prayers to the hunter.

Amen to that  :praying:

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Wow, tough crowd. In my eyes, a fellow hunter got hurt, and I'll pray for a speedy recovery for him. Accidents happen, and usually to those who are comfortable and confident with the weapon. I know two guys who were unfortunate enough to find themselves on the business end of their own weapon. Was it from carelessness? Yes, but I wouldn't classify them as stupid or careless people, just had bad judgement at the worst possible time, and the worst case scenario happened. Prayers to the hunter.

I respectfully disagree.  The article said this:  According to police, Gary Reed, of Butler, placed his crossbow inside a vehicle while the bow was still loaded.

That's not an accident, that is negligence.  An accident is when your car slips off the road because you unexpectedly encountered some black ice on the road at night.  Negligence is when you know the roads are icy and speed down them and crash.  Hunter safety courses for archery are clear on NEVER placing a loaded weapon into your car when it comes to crossbows.  And he failed another simple rule of all firearms which is to keep it pointed in a safe direction.  Obviously it was loaded and pointed more or less right at him.  While I feel bad for his injuries, they were 100% preventable and should never have happened.  My father taught me when I was old enough to understand what a gun was that it was impossible to shoot someone with an unloaded firearm pointed in a safe direction and he was right all these decades later.   

Wait, did I just read someone blaming the weapon not the person? Omg the Murphy effect already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait.I guess you can't read it says crossbow hunters not crossbows.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wait.I guess you can't read it says crossbow hunters not crossbows.

Omg Murph. Pigeon holing hunters for the actions of one. Shame on you. But Kudos to your boldness of doing it on a hunting/ outdoors website.

Omg Murph. Pigeon holing hunters for the actions of one. Shame on you. But Kudos to your boldness of doing it on a hunting/ outdoors website.

I think you need to put your aluminum foil hat on.I don't have a problem with crossbows.My dad shoots one.My original post was just about the negative things happening recently done by idiots using a crossbow.

I hate how everyone just wants to Monday morning quarterback everyone else when they weren't there. Listen the guy shouldn't have put a loaded crossbow in his car we all know that. Could have been a million reason why, Maybe he started walking to his stand and realized he forgot his harness so he went back to his car and placed it on the seat while he dug through his bag to look for it. Maybe he rushed and fumbled around in a frenzy and the thing went off. i'm sure we all had those days when we are rushing to get to the stand before a certain time. The way a lot of you bash other people makes me think you guys never make mistakes. The important thing here is the guy survived and we can a learn a lesson from this. 

I hate how everyone just wants to Monday morning quarterback everyone else when they weren't there. Listen the guy shouldn't have put a loaded crossbow in his car we all know that. Could have been a million reason why, Maybe he started walking to his stand and realized he forgot his harness so he went back to his car and placed it on the seat while he dug through his bag to look for it. Maybe he rushed and fumbled around in a frenzy and the thing went off. i'm sure we all had those days when we are rushing to get to the stand before a certain time. The way a lot of you bash other people makes me think you guys never make mistakes. The important thing here is the guy survived and we can a learn a lesson from this.

i will somewhat agree, but..... I would never put a bolt in my xbow at the truck, do you nock an arrow when you walk to your stand? I was taught to load in the stand and unload in the stand. I have jumped plenty of deer walking out that i could have cracked a shot at had i been loaded but thats when accidents happen. I do however keep a load in my ml and flintlock but here in Pa its not consider loaded unless theres a charge in the pan or a primer in. Just my 2cents