IGNORED

How long is too long for butcher

Tally833

I shot a deer on Sunday 10/1 in the evening. It was a quick kill on a double lunged deer but I could not find her since she ran into some really thick stuff. It was around 50 degrees overnight and I found her first thing in the morning basically right where I quit the evening before. I just could not see her under all the brush with a flashlight. I cleaned her then put some ice in her cavity since I could not get the deer to a butcher until after work that day. I kept the deer under a tarp and in shade during the day which hit around 73 degrees. After work the ice still hadn't totally melted and off the the butcher I went. I'd like to not name the butcher but I will say that he is a popular one.

Dropped the deer off after hours and placed it into a refrigerated box. I didn't hear from the butcher for a few days so I called on Thursday. He said he would have it cut and ready for Saturday or Sunday. Here it is Monday, 8 days after the kill and 7 days after I dropped it off. I keep calling and getting voicemails but no call back.

My question is.... is the meat from this deer still good or has it been too long. I have used this guy before and didn't have any issues.

Just a heads up water (melted ice) promotes bacterial growth very fast. If you do have to ice a deer make sure the ice is in a extra plastic bag or two.

Try frozen gallon water bottles or frozen water filled 2 liter soda bottles. Won't leak and a solid block will last longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm your Huckleberry :devious:

I think you have two questions

1. is the meat still good. - I would say if the meat didn't spoil over night at 50 and them all day in 70 then it will not get any worse in your butchers icebox. (Like someone said when you ice it make sure the water does not leak out. 73 degrees and wet meat is a recipe for disaster and honestly I would be hesitant to eat it)

2. How long is too long for the butcher. I say most I use are ready for pick up in 7 days, guy I use in Hunterdon usually calls me in 3 days. (BTW he would not take your deer if he knew or suspected it was out there in this temperature for this long) . Also do you think when he told you it will be ready for Saturday he considered it as your notification and maybe your deer is done waiting for pick up?

Edited by Lunatic

My only concern is the overnight sit with the guts, and the ice water. The guts are the one thing that will definitely alter the flavor. That said I do my own butchering my deer sit in the fridge for sometimes up to 21 days before I even think about cutting them. I keep my fridge set at 33 degrees the meat comes out perfect every single time. Been doing it for years my wife kids family nobody's ever gotten sick ill anything.

Beef dry ages sometimes 45 days or longer before butchering. Deer butchers don't have that luxury for space so turn around time is fast. Not bad not good but nothing wrong with it. I do notice a difference in my meat when it sits longer in the fridge. Again, it's in a controlled environment.

Someone posted temps and spoiling on here few weeks back. Deer will be fine more than likely already cut and frozen.

20171005_193916.jpg

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.

It should be somewhat edible after an overnight sit. When you gut it did a huge smelly fart come out of the belly? Then it will taste like you are chewing on a deer hide. Keep water away from meat at all costs, you can put ice in a contractor bag and shove it in the cavity then wrap the deer in a tarp. You also want to keep the flies off of it, so keep it in a shed or something. I usually will quarter a deer then freeze it, and butcher it later when I have the time. A storage freezer is a must for any hunter in my opinion. Also if you want to mount it you can freeze the head.

Nice set up Roon.  :up: Hanging a deer in the proper conditions makes a huge difference. I will hang a deer for a couple of weeks as long as the conditions are right and they are the best tasting deer out there. When you have to take care of a early season deer right away you have to do what you have to do, but there is no comparison to aged deer meat on the bone.