IGNORED

When is it Enough Rain ?

1957Buck

Here are today's gauges for the Musky versus the South Branch.  The Musky is a limestone influenced river, hence the "bell curve" when it falls rather than the more or less straight up and down of the freestone rivers like the South Branch.  Yes, the SBR has some springs in places, but nowhere near rivers like the Musky, Pequest, Lopatcong, Pohatcong, Paulinskill, or Haikihokake. 

Musky 3-30-2017.gif

SBR 3-30-2017.gif

Bucksnbows `where does the Flatbrook fit in with all this as far as water sources. I never encountered any feeder streams, seems dependent on runoff from rain. It seems to always run Clear most of the time. 

Stokes Forest Sports Shop does not update their site that often.

Thanks to Dave .B I found this Graph on The Big Flatbrook plus volumes of info. 

USGS.01440000.98970.00060..20170323.20170330.log.0.p50.gif

USGS.01440000.98970.00060..20170323.20170330.log.0.p50.gif

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Bucksnbows `where does the Flatbrook fit in with all this as far as water sources. I never encountered any feeder streams, seems dependent on runoff from rain. It seems to always run Clear most of the time. 

Stokes Forest Sports Shop does not update their site that often.

Thanks to Dave .B I found this Graph on The Big Flatbrook plus volumes of info. 

The Flatbrook is also a freestone stream.  The Little Flat helps tremendously where it enters in the Blewett Tract above Three Bridges.  The Flatbrook watershed is odd in that its coolest water, and its best trout water, are in the middle of the watershed and not the top.  That is because of the dams on several tributaries built back in the Great Depression by CCC workers to keep them busy.  The spillover from those warm lakes/ponds warm the upper river and it lacks the temps for wild trout with some exceptions.  But lower down in the river, it stays cooler because of the mature forest canopy and some smaller tribs that enter with the Little Flatbrook being its largest trib in that area.  That is why the No-Kill is where it is although our native brookies are actually better upstream of route 206 above the No-Kill.  

And More Rain They are making electricity big time with all the rain. Anyone fish for Pike in the upper part or the river or another fish?  

Been doing research on the River and falls found out it is the 2nd Largest east coast falls Niagra is first 

Great_Falls_of_the_Passaic_River.jpg

18383416-mmmain.jpg

pike_brdstk.jpg

Edited by 1957Buck

Northern NJ is getting dumped on with Rain 

it will spread those fish around nicely 

I'm just hoping the flows recede enough to be able to get in the pre-season float stockings on the Flatbrook next Thu! With another round of moderate to heavy rain in the forecast for Mon night into Tue it could be a bit sketchy! Then another round of rain is forecast for Thu which could have an impact on Opening Day up there and elsewhere!

All this rain has been giving my sump pump a work out today!

Wife just asked if I had a motor running in the Basement she kept hear. 

YEP, it was the sump Pump that has not run since Sandy.   :praying: The last Noreaster around Xmas went to lowes to get one for a standby but never used it Took it Back. Now cycling on every 20 Min. so it is back for another Standby. . So good luck 3 blade