• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

How do you carry climber with a backpack?

33 replies to this topic

#1 Male ONLINE   JHbowhunter

JHbowhunter

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 10/04/16 - 10:06 AM

Trying to prep for a good Ohio hunt this year with my climber which I rarely use but it's a good Lone Wolf system. When I use it locally, I generally just carry it in one hand while wearing my usual bowhunting backpack on my shoulders.    I do NOT have shoulder straps to carry the stand (yet).  But that raises a dilemma.  I don't know if it's possible/comfortable to wear and carry both a climbing stand and a backpack together.

To me the ultimate would be a backpack system that allowed the ease of securing your climber as part of the backpack. I suppose I could rig something up to that affect.

Any suggestions?

#2 Male ONLINE   JHbowhunter

JHbowhunter

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 10/04/16 - 10:14 AM

actually I think the way to go is to get some good shoulder straps for the Lone Wolf, and simply attach my pack to the stand using a carabiner or bungee, rather than try to attach stand to the pack. 

• Agree x 2
  • Like x 1
  • List

#3 Male OFFLINE   outdoorslife

outdoorslife

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 10/04/16 - 10:16 AM

Do the opposite of your "ultimate backpack system". Get shoulder straps asap and just strap the backpack to your climber. I use a fanny pack or a backpack depending on season, how far of a hike etc. The small pack goes around my waist and on my belly...the backpack gets strapped to the stand.

If you plan on walking very far you can invest in a molle system that adds a kidney belt to the shoulder straps and it really reduces the feel of your actual carrying weight.

Which lone wolf do you have?

Edited by outdoorslife, 10/04/16 - 10:17 AM.

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

#4 Male OFFLINE   Haskell_Hunter

Haskell_Hunter

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 10/04/16 - 10:26 AM

I have a backpack and a climber.  I used straps to secure it to the backpack and schlepped the whole thing in that way.  If you don't take the time to get the attachment right, you may make a ton of sound clanking into the woods.  So take your time and design it right.

This place makes the best straps.  American made and custom cut with your preferred clasping/attachment mechanism.  Fast turnaround and priced right.

http://www.strapworks.com/default.asp

• Agree x 1
  • List

US citizens have constitutionally protected rights - but they're only paper protections if they can't be freely exercised.

--BBC News

The right to revolt has sources deep in our history.

-- Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

Ideas are indeed the most dangerous weapons in the world. Our ideas of freedom are the most powerful political weapons man has ever forged.

-- Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

#5 OFFLINE   Bucndoe

Bucndoe

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 10/04/16 - 10:31 AM

Get straps for the climber so it truly is a portable stand. Attach the backpack to the climber and carry as one unit. Or, only carry the essentials and lose the backpack. Most guys carry more crap than they will ever use

• Agree x 2
  • List

#6 Male OFFLINE   MTH

MTH

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 10/04/16 - 10:44 AM

1. My climbers come with back pack straps and I use the climber as a pack frame and just attach the pack to the climber.....be doing it for years

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

#7 Male ONLINE   JHbowhunter

JHbowhunter

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 10/04/16 - 10:49 AM

I have the standard LW Hand Climber that I bought last year from a NJH member - works great, and really comfortable and feels safer than any other stand I've used.  I started bowhunting back in 1984 with some super dangerous wooden climber with a slotted band iron strap that was a death trap (and I didn't wear harness).  Had a few scares but managed to hang on!  I didn't use a climber for about 25 years but with this model, no reason not to.

Thanks for the tips, had my stand come with straps, I would probably already have figured out its best to attach the pack to the stand.

Edited by JHbowhunter, 10/04/16 - 10:54 AM.

#8 Male OFFLINE   outdoorslife

outdoorslife

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 10/04/16 - 11:05 AM

I have the standard LW Hand Climber that I bought last year from a NJH member - works great, and really comfortable and feels safer than any other stand I've used. I started bowhunting back in 1984 with some super dangerous wooden climber with a slotted band iron strap that was a death trap (and I didn't wear harness). Had a few scares but managed to hang on! I didn't use a climber for about 25 years but with this model, no reason not to.

Thanks for the tips, had my stand come with straps, I would probably already have figured out its best to attach the pack to the stand.

No problem Jack. I love using a climber its so easy to adjust stand choice for a certain wind, if I needed a slight adjustment based off of deer movement and for public land carry in carry out, etc...

I just picked up an xop strike force which is basically the equivalent of the stand you have. So far I like it. Ive added a little bit better back pack straps instead of the ones that come with it, lw foot rests and thirdhand man stabilizer straps that are priceless. Plus they help strap in any extra gear, bags, clothes that I may bring late in the season. Im adding a universal bow holder and some paracord to the front of the platform also. Its a nice upgrade from my myles keller climber. Good luck in Ohio!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 Male OFFLINE   outdoorslife

outdoorslife

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 10/04/16 - 11:07 AM

Double post - for some reason it acted like it didn't post.

I had a duplicate as well. It didnt seem like it "took". Yesterday and today this site only appears to be running slow on my computer at work...not my phone though.

Edit: Im back at my desk and its instantly faster. Weird lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by outdoorslife, 10/04/16 - 11:26 AM.

#10 Male OFFLINE   Sugar

Sugar

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 10/04/16 - 11:23 AM

Bisongear makes great add one for all types of stands

Attached Images

• IMG_0010.JPG
  • IMG_0011.JPG

• Like x 2
  • List

#11 Male OFFLINE   Gruntinbuck

Gruntinbuck

Fawn

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10/04/16 - 11:34 AM

I put mine over the top of the climber just like it was my shoulders and attach the chest buckle together. Then I just backpack the whole thing. Chris.
  • Like x 1
  • List

#12 Male OFFLINE   Sugar

Sugar

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 10/04/16 - 11:35 AM

Hang on stand

Attached Images

• 0712151338a_zpszdfio36n.jpg
  • 0712151336_zps5oyoozbe.jpg

#13 Male OFFLINE   Slayer1962

Slayer1962

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 10/04/16 - 12:05 PM

I use bungies! keeps it tight and no noise.

#14 Male ONLINE   JHbowhunter

JHbowhunter

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 10/04/16 - 12:20 PM

There you have it folks - Sugar just gave up his prime spot where he uses the climber :rofl:

• Funny x 1
  • Agree x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

#15 Male OFFLINE   Integracingsr

Integracingsr

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10/04/16 - 12:30 PM

I have the Summit Vipre SD.  It comes with straps so I just strap the backpack to the stand and away we go.  Plenty comfortable to carry.

As for Sugar's post, I guess that answers the post from the other day about how close to the street you can legally hunt.  

• Funny x 1
  • List

#16 Male OFFLINE   outdoorslife

outdoorslife

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 10/04/16 - 12:37 PM

He left the deer crossing sign out of his picture :rofl:

• Funny x 3
  • List

#17 Male OFFLINE   dlist777

dlist777

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10/04/16 - 12:49 PM

I have a backpack with a waist belt/strap. I just reverse it and wear it against my chest. The waist strap secures behind my back and pulls it snug. I then carry the stand on my back like usual. The weight of the pack and stand are nice and balanced. Still have 2 hands free to carry bow, balance, etc....

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
  • Like x 2
  • List

#18 Male OFFLINE   Sugar

Sugar

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 10/04/16 - 01:02 PM

There you have it folks - Sugar just gave up his prime spot where he uses the climber :rofl:

Well I have shot a few within 100 yards of that pole anyway
  • Like x 3
  • List

#19 Male OFFLINE   hemlock

hemlock

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 10/04/16 - 01:24 PM

Well I have shot a few within 100 yards of that pole anyway

Nice you got that lane by the spruce. But wouldn't want your neighbors siding bill. Old dead eye.lol 

#20 OFFLINE   jerseyhunter

jerseyhunter

8 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 10/04/16 - 02:20 PM

When I used my summit I'd carry the stand with the tree cables facing up and cradle the backpack in the seat and bungee. I also had a big brass clip attached to the handles of the backpack and then clipped to the tree cables. I also added a cord to each side of the climbers straps to tie across my chest. Made long treks so much easy without strain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users