IGNORED

Bear attack at Split Rock Reservoir, Rockaway, NJ

ROCKAWAY TWP, NJ (MORRIS) *ANIMAL ATTACK* CHARLOTTESBURG RD - SPLIT ROCK RESEVOIR. MULT AGENCIES WRKG TO LOCATE & REMOVE MULT VICS. 1 RPT'D SEVERE LACERATIONS FROM BEAR ATTACK. NJSP HELO ASSISTING. 3 OTHER SUBJECTS IN THE WOODS, UNK INJ.

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

Wow that's crazy.

Hope they'll all be ok. Lot's of bears in that area, but I would think all the hunting pressure would have made them a lot more scarce.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

I don't want to derail this topic, but I merged it Matt. However, I was very hesitant... Last time I did it the site crashed (for me only according to Rusty)... and I couldn't get on for over a week. I kept bugging Rusty because I had no other contact with the outside world. lol It was right around the time you did the hibernation or great migration or whatever that was. lol....i tried resetting everything from routers to ip, different computers, etc. Finally one day it just worked again. My Christmas miracle.

Edited by Matty

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

I don't want to derail this topic, but I merged it Matt. However, I was very hesitant... Last time I did it the site crashed (for me only according to Rusty)... and I couldn't get on for over a week. I kept bugging Rusty because I had no other contact with the outside world. lol It was right around the time you did the hibernation or great migration or whatever that was. lol....i tried resetting everything from routers to ip, different computers, etc. Finally one day it just worked again. My Christmas miracle.

And sadly we would have gotten a good hunting story, complete with pictures and everything, if Matty wasn't cut off from the rest of the world.  

Not sure how accurate this info is, but it's all I could find for now.

According to this it's a family of four that was in the woods. adult male ventured into a cave and was attacked. 

Apparently he is in bad shape but has been found and is being transported by helicoptor.

https://www.reddit.com/r/newjersey/comments/3xlyxf/rockaway_township_bear_attacks_family_of_4/

Edited by Matty

I'm hoping nothing is done to the alleged bear - it's one thing if a bear chases down a human out in the open and mauls them to death, but going into an easily accessible cave in locations where bears are known to frequent is expecting the best out of a dangerous idea. I hike around Splitrock all the time and you won't find my ass blundering into a cave in winter.

The writer of that quote does have a point.. But what she doesn't realize is THERE ARE TOO MANY BEARS LIVING TO CLOSE TO HUMANS... KILL IT!!!!!

:D