IGNORED

crossbow speeds at what cost?

mazzgolf

My experience with crossbows has been good. The only crossbow I had an issue was my first, in 2010, a Parker Cyclone, that started to delaminate just sitting in the corner of my gun room. Stokes Forest Sports Shop sent the bow back to Parker and the limb head was changed out in a week or so at no cost, not even shipping. I still have it. I wanted more speed and KE so I moved on to a Barnett Ghost which was ok, but loud and clunky. Next up was a Ravin R15 in 2018. Not one issue with it and I still have it. Just had Wackers in Hampton put the first new string on it. I currently use two R29s set up exactly the same. No issues with either of these as well. I will be putting new strings on them this spring.

I do believe that the majority of crossbow issues are operator error. Limbs hitting branches, blinds, treestands cause most of the damage and exploding limbs. Other issues are loading the bolt upside down, no string/cable maintenance, and failure to lube rails and bearings if required. 

I treat my crossbow like I treat my guns or vertical bows. Maintenance is key. And I limit my shots on deer to 55 yards even though I can shoot 2" groups at 100. I believe over that range they can duck the arrow.

Edited by electric10162

Tenpoint rs470 is the quietest crossbow I've shot or heard being shot.  Price isn't all about the speed.  My old 300fps TP Stealth ss needed strings every 2 or 3 years, the 470 has been through 2 years and the string is still in good shape for another year.  Serving on the 1st string from the factory only lasted 1.5 years.  2-3 years is all you should push the strings on either.  Keeping the strings waxed and rails oiled will keep them in better shape longer.  Any bow limbs can explode/split. Overcocking or not decocking can hurt limbs of any speed.  Another 50% faster puts the arrow at 30yds in the same amount of time the old ss reached 20yds.  The reversed limbs are better when in a cramped natural blind.  Bow weight is a plus.  Being able to decock with the crank saves wear on the string from not having to shoot it every time it goes back in the truck, and saves on the costs of decocking arrows and decocking targets.  Heavier cocking strap on the 470 than the string that was on the stealth.  That string ended up breaking.  Crank that can't fall out or slip when cocking.  On the other hand, you can get by just fine with the slower models, too.

Maybe Ive just been lucky but my first was a Parker Tornado and my current is a Stealth NXT. No problems at all. They’ll keep pushing the speed envelope just as they did with compounds for years. Then just as compounds the “shootability” becomes the next refinement. Some super fast xbows blow up, some don’t. Some slower xbows blow up, some don’t. Just stick with a reputable company and hope you didn’t get a lemon😂Too many guys buy lower end and expect the same results as higher, just fooling yourself doing that

That being said I don’t think speed is the deciding factor on reliability. And xbow strings are treated differently if you want to give them life. I have seen a lot of guys wax xbow servings, guaranteed to shorten string life by over 50% especially at the rail

Edited by MGHunter66

AWM

I have owned probably a dozen crossbows. 

You do not need faster. I buy one every two years instead of worrying about maintenance lol

If you buy one its because you like it not that its really better.

I have a Tenpoint Seige with the hot limbs , pretty fast ! 

Newer ones are faster. Mine is amazingly accurate at 50 yards. 

I bought it because i wanted the Garmin X Zero scope so i bought the package. 

Ridiculous money and you can kill just as many deer as I can probably more. 

Put it this way a Honda civic will get you back and fourth to work. 

A 250cc motorcycle will get you anywhere a 1000 cc will.

All this being said I drive a Hemi dodge pick up with a lift kit, a Tesla and a Ninja 1000!

If you can afford it why not! 

27 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Maybe Ive just been lucky but my first was a Parker Tornado and my current is a Stealth NXT. No problems at all. They’ll keep pushing the speed envelope just as they did with compounds for years. Then just as compounds the “shootability” becomes the next refinement. Some super fast xbows blow up, some don’t. Some slower xbows blow up, some don’t. Just stick with a reputable company and hope you didn’t get a lemon😂Too many guys buy lower end and expect the same results as higher, just fooling yourself doing that

That being said I don’t think speed is the deciding factor on reliability. And xbow strings are treated differently if you want to give them life. I have seen a lot of guys wax xbow servings, guaranteed to shorten string life by over 50% especially at the rail

I believe the speed race is over. There are issues with 500s and in addition people were not buying it. I think the speed will settle to 400 to 450 max and in reality that’s enough for even mid west, long range hunts.