IGNORED

Fox hunting in Madison nj

NJNewbie

I have access to some land in Madison that is owned by a family member, about 3 acres. If I set up in the middle of the property I am way more than 150ft from any house. There are some sheds that are within 150ft, but both are owned by my family member. Lots of foxes

I've been reading the discharge laws and I dont see anything that says I cant discharge a bow. there some info on firearm which is kind of funny cause im sure no one is gun hunting Madison. Its a very suburban town.

anyways if anyone has info on discharge laws or where i can find better info I would appreciate it.  

https://ecode360.com/6488553

4 minutes ago, gregtpal said:

you are ok at over 150' feet as long as you are in an elevated stand.  Doesn't matter how high but i will say from experience that foxes hardly ever look up.

You only need to be elevated within 150 ft with permission.  So with the sheds he may need to be elevated

I believe its 150 for bow 450 for firearm, but I would only use a bow.

I'm more concerned about the discharge laws. Ive read them a few times and dont see anything that prohibits it, but i know some of the surrounding towns like Hanover have very complicated discharge laws that basically say you cant shoot a bow without a permit. 

I always heard a town can’t say no hunting and that discharge laws don’t apply to hunting as it’s a state issue not a town. I’m sure it will cost money and a lawyer to figure it out.   Now I know scotch plains code specifically says no hunting. So I would think their town lawyers check those things.   I would call the town and ask (don’t give them the address or you name ). Then move to a CO if you don’t like the towns response.  

8 minutes ago, mike033089 said:

I always heard a town can’t say no hunting and that discharge laws don’t apply to hunting as it’s a state issue not a town. I’m sure it will cost money and a lawyer to figure it out.   Now I know scotch plains code specifically says no hunting. So I would think their town lawyers check those things.   I would call the town and ask (don’t give them the address or you name ). Then move to a CO if you don’t like the towns response.  

They can ban hunting on twp owned land but not wma etc.  Alot of no discharge does say unless engaged in legal hunting

1 hour ago, vdep217 said:

They can ban hunting on twp owned land but not wma etc.  Alot of no discharge does say unless engaged in legal hunting

I am not saying you are wrong but towns clearly do it.  And it’s a shame. Southside of scotch plains is McMansions and some people have a couple acres backing up to nice size woods

IMG_1380.png

I’ve talked to the co for the area(not about this spot). Super nice guys, but I’ve had conversations with them where they basically told me it’s legal to hunt at said spot but it’s just not worth doing it do to the local pd. 

“the township are the ones who are gonna show up and arrest you not us”

so basically got the message that your on your own and will likely end up in a massive battle of legal fees if you get caught. Not worth it. 

1 hour ago, mike033089 said:

I am not saying you are wrong but towns clearly do it.  And it’s a shame. Southside of scotch plains is McMansions and some people have a couple acres backing up to nice size woods

IMG_1380.png

They specifically only list firearms. Archery is likely fine.