IGNORED

Boater Update – Mandatory Winter PFD Wear

New Regulation 13:82-1.4(f)

kmt-revised-photo-credit-nj-state-police

Starting this November, no owner or operator of a recreational vessel less than 26 feet, including rowboats, canoes, kayaks, and stand-up paddleboards shall permit its operation between November 1st and May 1st, unless each person on board such vessel is wearing a securely fastened United States Coast Guard-approved wearable personal flotation device of an appropriate size while such vessel is underway. A person inside the cabin of a cabin vessel shall be exempt from this requirement.

In short, A USCG approved life jacket is required to be worn at all times, outside of a cabin on a boat under 26 feet during the cold-water months, while in motion, from November 1st to May 1st.

The goal of this legislative update is to prevent hypothermia deaths, and to decrease the risks placed upon first responders during winter search and rescue operations on the waters of New Jersey.  In almost every instance of a vessel related drowning, the victim was not wearing a life vest.

New Jersey’s coastal features are unique in regard to our offshore fishing, inlets, and tidal bays which result in a greater average recreational vessel size when compared to inland states with similar PFD regulations. This new regulation is in the best interest of the safety of operators and passengers on all New Jersey’s waterways.

To learn more, visit: https://nj.gov/njsp/marine-services/current_events.shtml.

Photo Credit: NJ State Police

View the full article

> The goal of this legislative update is to prevent hypothermia deaths, and to decrease the risks placed upon first responders during winter search and rescue operations

I think they just said that first part to make people go, "Oh, OK, I guess its for my safety" but really - what does a PFD have to do with hypothermia? You are in the water whether you have a PFD or not... I would think hypothermia will set in just as fast and be just as dangerous with or without a PFD. So I don't think this really has anything to do with preventing hypothermia deaths.

I suspect the REAL reason is first responders didn't want to have to dive down into the waters to retrieve bodies... much easier and faster finding and retrieving a floating body than a sunk one.

12 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

> The goal of this legislative update is to prevent hypothermia deaths, and to decrease the risks placed upon first responders during winter search and rescue operations

I think they just said that first part to make people go, "Oh, OK, I guess its for my safety" but really - what does a PFD have to do with hypothermia? You are in the water whether you have a PFD or not... I would think hypothermia will set in just as fast and be just as dangerous with or without a PFD. So I don't think this really has anything to do with preventing hypothermia deaths.

I suspect the REAL reason is first responders didn't want to have to dive down into the waters to retrieve bodies... much easier and faster finding and retrieving a floating body than a sunk one.

Sounds like it would increase cases of hypothermia. If you drown, your not gunna get hypothermia lol 

They have tree harnesses to save you from breaking your neck why don't they invent boat harnesses

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Not saying I agree but but see the point from all sides.  Mist don't realize the early effects of hypothermia so yes a pfd designed to float you face up will save more lives.  Hypothermia is not usually the main cause of death in these situations its drowning.  2nd I am a diver and I have don e a few recoveries with my dad who gas done many there is a huge difference in a cold water dive recovery and a surface rescue or recovery  and a lot less risk for tge latter for the responder.  

Yes its what was signed up for but should they continue to put their life in jeopardy when there is a solution that mitigates that risk for the rescuer