IGNORED

Chasing brookies on the fly

Bucksnbows

1 hour ago, nb6624 said:

That looks like a dream come true.  Thanks for sharing.  

This is what I saw at my stream when I got there.

108469.jpeg

https://blackfootriver.com/blogs/fishing-reports/bitterroot-river-fishing-report

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

On 7/25/2023 at 11:54 PM, hunterbob1 said:

Beautiful Brian 👍 I lived in the southern portion of Wilmington Vermont from 1971 to 1973. More Rock then Ken Lockwood.Caught a lot of brookies there and rivers in keen nh none as the ones you got. Nice pics thanks for sharing:up:

Bob, I recall you mentioning before about your time in Vermont in the 70s and I commented about fishing that same area in those days. I spent several summers fishing for trout in the area between Bennington and Wilmington in the 70s. We often fished the Deerfield River just below Somerset Reservoir. Back then it was loaded with wild Brook Trout. Also other small waters in that area. I have not been back to that area in 40 years. I wonder how the Brook trout fish in the upper Deerfield is now. The pictures here of the New Hampshire streams look a lot like those waters I fished in Vermont.

2 hours ago, OldPiney Woods said:

Bob, I recall you mentioning before about your time in Vermont in the 70s and I commented about fishing that same area in those days. I spent several summers fishing for trout in the area between Bennington and Wilmington in the 70s. We often fished the Deerfield River just below Somerset Reservoir. Back then it was loaded with wild Brook Trout. Also other small waters in that area. I have not been back to that area in 40 years. I wonder how the Brook trout fish in the upper Deerfield is now. The pictures here of the New Hampshire streams look a lot like those waters I fished in Vermont.

First trout I ever caught on the fly was in Vermont's Mad River off route 100 in Waitsfield.  A rainbow on a drowned bumblebee bee pattern I bought at Bisbee's Hardware right down the road for $0.89.  Funny the things you remember.  The Mad is a lot like those NH rivers as well, and I was thinking it was a walk down memory lane the last few days while fishing the White Mountains.  We are used to so much more sediment in our local rivers and streams.  Sediment in those rivers is 6" cobbles!  

Good old Wilmington

A one light town, route 9 route 100 haystack mountain skiing 10 miles to Mount Snow 20 miles to Bennington 20 miles to Brattleboro hogback mountain skiing, all good pull over on side of the river and fish, they had a hardware store at the light / pharmacy, in the back you could buy a rifle or shotgun off the shelf no questions asked.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

• 1 month later...