IGNORED

Fluking upper Raritan bay

NJNewbie

Anyone have any luck with fluke in the upper Raritan bay? Im talking about the portion of the bay where the statue of liberty and ellis island is (think Liberty State Park). 

I know a lot of people striper fish up here but anyone going for fluke? Just purchased a kayak(NU Canoe frontier12) and have been thinking about giving it a try. I did meet someone at one of the fishing piers in the area last spring that said he had been doing well with weakfish. Never saw anyone catch one though. 

6 minutes ago, NJNewbie said:

Anyone have any luck with fluke in the upper Raritan bay? Im talking about the portion of the bay where the statue of liberty and ellis island is (think Liberty State Park). 

I know a lot of people striper fish up here but anyone going for fluke? Just purchased a kayak(NU Canoe frontier12) and have been thinking about giving it a try. I did meet someone at one of the fishing piers in the area last spring that said he had been doing well with weakfish. Never saw anyone catch one though. 

Plenty of fluke up there but if you’re gonna be in a kayak be careful and use your head strong currants and lots of traffic. Better have your head on. 

I wouldn’t call that raritan bay being it’s inside the Verrazano. Aside from that, there are fluke there but be advised current can rip and there are some dangerous wakes and boat traffic so be careful. I have seen some kayak guys but close to the liberty state park launch. With the currents and wake action I would not venture out in that in kayak. I would stick to the the raritan bay itself. Plenty of kayak access and better water to fish for fluke via kayak in my view.