IGNORED

Fancy Kitchen Knives

splitrockoutdoors

Anyone have a favorite high end knife for cooking?

I wanted something along the lines of a do all design for general kitchen tasks, nice asthetics, and American made, and hopefully something that I am cutting deer steaks with for many years to come.

Benchmade Station Knife had my eye for a while, but the nicest handle material they had was a recycled paper material lol.

Ultimately decided on this new release Bark River Fin and Bone.  I have a few other knifes from them but this is my favorite so far.  Bog Oak with black liners and malachite spacer.  I think it has a nice look for the kitchen.

What are you guys cutting up your deer with?

IMG_20230320_163813.jpg

IMG_20230320_165512.jpg

1 minute ago, splitrockoutdoors said:

Anyone have a favorite high end knife for cooking?

I wanted something along the lines of a do all design for general kitchen tasks, nice asthetics, and American made, and hopefully something that I am cutting deer steaks with for many years to come.

Benchmade Station Knife had my eye for a while, but the nicest handle material they had was a recycled paper material lol.

Ultimately decided on this new release Bark River Fin and Bone.  I have a few other knifes from them but this is my favorite so far.  Bog Oak with black liners and malachite spacer.  I think it has a nice look for the kitchen.

What are you guys cutting up your deer with?

IMG_20230320_163813.jpg

IMG_20230320_165512.jpg

Nice

Are you asking about kitchen knives or butcher knives?  Those are two distinctly different animals.

I prefer Japanese steel and technique for my kitchen knives.  Large gyutos with wa handles.  A Santoku would be a good all-around knife choice and if you prefer western-handled santokus, plenty of good ones exist.  My wife's favorite is a western-handled santoku.  

I could point you in the right direction if Japanese steel is something that interests you.  

3 hours ago, not on the rug said:

Are you asking about kitchen knives or butcher knives?  Those are two distinctly different animals.

I prefer Japanese steel and technique for my kitchen knives.  Large gyutos with wa handles.  A Santoku would be a good all-around knife choice and if you prefer western-handled santokus, plenty of good ones exist.  My wife's favorite is a western-handled santoku.  

I could point you in the right direction if Japanese steel is something that interests you.  

Kitchen knives, just for general cooking stuff

7 hours ago, splitrockoutdoors said:

Kitchen knives, just for general cooking stuff

Gotcha.  Like I said, I prefer Japanese to German or American, but that is just my preference. 

Whatever you do, don't buy a giant block full of knives.  You'll never use them.  Get 1 chef's knife/gyuto, 1 all-purpose/santoku and 1 paring knife.  That's really all you need to start.  From there I'd add a carving knife and perhaps a serrated/bread knife if you're slicing a lot of homemade bread.