IGNORED

Sous Vide accessory - container with rack

mazzgolf

I didn't know this kind of thing existed until I looked it up when I wanted a better way to keep my vacuum-sealed meat submerged in the water while cooking sous vide. Figured I'd share to let others know about it. I just bought this and plan on using it today.

Sous Vide Container (12 Quarts) with Universal Silicone Lid and Sous Vide Rack (Amazon link here)

I was mainly interested in only the metal rack, but figured I should buy the combo package that included the container (to make sure I had a container that would fit the metal rack inside) and lid (which helps avoid water evaporation during long cooks).

The rack is nice because not only can you stand up several vacuum-sealed bags at once (so you can cook multiple things at the same time) but more importantly it has that metal rod that goes over the top that ensures the entire bag stays submerged (without this, I was noticing sometimes the tops of the bags would peek out of the water - this metal rod should make sure the entire bag stays under the water).

Here's what it looks like - I didn't fill the container with water yet - I just wanted to see how it would work. I'll start the cooking process later today.

sv-bucket2.jpg.06e7b79d61c719107953aa1d3e9c5306.jpgsv-bucket1.jpg.bcef6fa806a442ff7e200204b2796f07.jpg

29 minutes ago, alabjr said:

A friend of mine is obsessed with cooking venison with the Sous vide method. I haven’t tried it yet, I’ll have to ask him to let me taste some. He claims it’s like butter. 

Sous vide is great!

First, you can't overcook it (well, I say that with a caveat -- if you leave it in the machine for 12 hours or something like that, maybe - they say the meat can become mushy.... but honestly, you can't overcook it if you can follow directions... and it depends probably on the thickness of the meat, too).

Second, it comes out **exactly** at the temp you want it, from edge to edge. You want your venison rare? Set the machine for 127 degrees or thereabouts and cook for a few hours. You want it pink inside? Set it to, say, 133 degrees. More well done? Set it for higher. Set it and forget it - let it cook for 3 or 4 hours (some people set it before they go to work, when they get home, it's ready. Some machines have delayed start and timers so you can start and end it when you want. But, again, you really can't overcook it, though I never go past 4 hours).

After it's done, you have a piece of meat that is done the way you want it from edge-to-edge. Then just sear it for 30 seconds on each side in a pan to get the nice finishing touch and wa-LA! It's perfect and delicious.

This is what my first attempt looked like - absolutely awesome:

Thanks!

Just bought mine yesterday. Haven't used yet. Will look into this rack. 

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

Thanks for posting. I received a 800w Sous Vide for Xmas. I haven't used it yet but will be soon. I like this idea especially with the rack. I was going to order it with the sleeve but a lot of the reviews say that it smells really bad, don't really think it's needed anyway.

Sous Vide is absolutely the best way to cook any kind of meat. After you take it out you can put some cold smoke on it or just butter it up and sear it (I recommend searing either way.) like Max said you get a perfect chef temp from edge to edge, the searing is mostly just for consistency and a little flavor. Obviously, season or marinade ahead of time. I have done head to head comparisons doing a dry aged premium steak on the grill/smoker and a lesser steak in the sous vide. While you can’t replicate the flavor of a dry aged steak or quality of the meat you can absolutely get the cheaper steak just as tender.

I should be working ... there's always tomorrow