IGNORED

What kind of tree is this.

14 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

highly unlikely - those are very "branchy" trees.  These are straight.  And they do have the balls on them, never seen the "cotton"

Then it's a gum. Not all cottonwood are like that, several species grow very straight and tall. Some 3-5 ft a year.

3 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

highly unlikely - those are very "branchy" trees.  These are straight.  And they do have the balls on them, never seen the "cotton"

The branchyness is more a factor of where it grew and not the type of tree it is.  Trees that grow in open areas with lots of sunlight will keep their lower branches while those in a forest lose the lower shaded branches.

That being said,  trees that need full sun will tend to be branchier because they typically grow in open areas.

And by the way,  I think you just created my new favorite word.  

22 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Found another one. Here are leaves. Big. 

E4DFCD20-99C3-4044-B04E-43C2A49FF307.jpeg

4BFCF6F9-5804-4A29-8CBD-9A9CF1F13B96.jpeg

2E6C9A10-0E38-41F1-9F6E-CC51C11462F2.jpeg

Let’s get this tree caper solved!!

now that bark looks much different than the one you fell….deep grooves like a poplar bark.  And the big leaves appear to be a white oak (white oak leaves are rounded like the “white” settlers shot rounded bullets….whereas red oak leaves are pointed like the “red”skinned Indians shot pointed arrows).   Any chance it cud be a poplar/oak hybrid??!!

2A57F054-38A0-4FCC-AA14-9507C9C8751A.png

Edited by Bonefreak

10 minutes ago, huntyctyboy said:

it looks to me like a quercus. if you have twigs and/or fruit use the book: fruit & twig key to trees and shrubs by William M Harlow PHD

quercus is Oak family - no way is this tree related to Oak.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

6 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

Let’s get this tree caper solved!!

now that bark looks much different than the one you fell….deep grooves like a poplar bark.  And the big leaves appear to be a white oak (white oak leaves are rounded like the “white” settlers shot rounded bullets….whereas red oak leaves are pointed like the “red”skinned Indians shot pointed arrows).   Any chance it cud be a poplar/oak hybrid??!!

2A57F054-38A0-4FCC-AA14-9507C9C8751A.png

this upright tree is a lot bigger than the felled one, hence bark is a little bigger.    But I been wondering about these trees since I lived here, not too many but they are mixed in with White and red oak, maple, ash, and hickory.  Not positive those are the leaves but they looked different than all the surrounding oak and maple leaves. 

Edited by JHbowhunter

I shot a big 10pt once….

17 minutes ago, Trophy8 said:

Ok Jack, does the "same" tree have the little spiked balls you said the other one did?

I look at the tree during bow season and see the balls hanging, and note that they are not acorns.  I could not find any on the ground just now.   It just was puzzling how such a straight tree, with no knots, was impossible to split by hand.   I was able to drive a wedge through  one but it was a struggle. 

I shot a big 10pt once….

3 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

I look at the tree during bow season and see the balls hanging, and note that they are not acorns.  I could not find any on the ground just now.   It just was puzzling how such a straight tree, with no knots, was impossible to split by hand.   I was able to drive a wedge through  one but it was a struggle. 

Ok there is a high probability the 2nd tree is also a gum. Gum trees are very fibrous,  cottonwood even more so, which by its very nature make them difficult to split. A tulip/poplar is not, making it easy to split green or dried

11 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

If it was Sweet Gum the ground would be covered with the spiky balls.   

2 minutes ago, Rusty said:

come for some beers and tree felling this weekend and help me solve this mystery. Have a few more big dead reds to drop, and several dead or dying ash. 

I shot a big 10pt once….

6 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Agree, which lends to it be something in the cottonwood family. 

Ok, so I will correct myself it being a gum. I think the OP is misleading with what he is actually seeing

Plus the OP doesn't like me anyway so he's doing whatever to make me look like an idiot. 

Done with it

Edited by Trophy8