IGNORED

whats the difference in these two trout?

Kype

Just googled tiger trout, sorry to say but that is not a tiger trout, maybe just a Wierd brownie, google it and you'll see, I don't know how to post a link.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

yeah i googled it and thats why i posted a thread here because i wasnt 100% sure. some pictures look like what i caught and some look completely different. if you look at my 2nd picture. the front of the fish has the spots of a brown but the tail end has the swirls and lines of a tiger trout. i dont know. could be too the pictures on google are pictures of tiger trout in other parts of the country? where as a NJ/eastern tiger trout looks different. 

Edited by Kype

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:TigerTrout3.jpg These if this works ar tigers, the stripes go all the way to the head, I've caught fish like yours, always thought they were just Wierd looking Browns. In a true hybrid you should be able to see both parents, considering it's a male brookie to female brown cross. Edited by GhostBear

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:TigerTrout3.jpg These if this works ar tigers, the stripes go all the way to the head, I've caught fish like yours, always thought they were just Wierd looking Browns.

yeah i have to agree. that was my first impression as well. when i caught it, i thought i caught an odd looking brown trout. 

Edited by Kype

The hole I fished in the Flattbrook a few years back was loaded with them, I caught and released like 20 one day, every one of them looked like that one.

First one is 100% a wild brown trout.  Second one is 100% stocked from the Musky Trout Hatchery via the Shannon's Fly Shop private stockings.  While it has some traits that make it look a bit like a tiger, it is one of Vern's browns and is stocked.  His brown trout have some of those genetics we see in this fish that look a bit like vermiculations seen in native brook trout and which are common in tiger trout.  True tigers spawned in the wild are fairly rare and do happen naturally in the South Branch where you caught it because that river sees natural reproduction of all three species which is also very rare in NJ.  But stocked tigers are highly common as it is easy to raise them by taking eggs from one species and milt from the other (brown trout and brook trout, only one of which is a true trout - the brown) and then adding heat to bring up viability of the fertilized eggs.  

Sorry, trout geek here  :nerd:  

First one is 100% a wild brown trout.  Second one is 100% stocked from the Musky Trout Hatchery via the Shannon's Fly Shop private stockings.  While it has some traits that make it look a bit like a tiger, it is one of Vern's browns and is stocked.  His brown trout have some of those genetics we see in this fish that look a bit like vermiculations seen in native brook trout and which are common in tiger trout.  True tigers spawned in the wild are fairly rare and do happen naturally in the South Branch where you caught it because that river sees natural reproduction of all three species which is also very rare in NJ.  But stocked tigers are highly common as it is easy to raise them by taking eggs from one species and milt from the other (brown trout and brook trout, only one of which is a true trout - the brown) and then adding heat to bring up viability of the fertilized eggs.  

Sorry, trout geek here  :nerd:  

Well thanks for that info. Something I was not aware of. Very cool info.I would have bet that was a south branch Tiger.