IGNORED

Almost 90 days since handgun permit submission

It's almost been 90 days since I've put in for a permit to purchase a handgun in my Hudson County town. What should I do after I hit that mark on 9/25? Call a lawyer?

It used to be you dealt directly with the ABC officers. Now you deal with some woman administrator who gives you the runaround when you call. A guy from work put his in after me and got his permit first! That screams of an unorganized poor process!

Please advise.

You are in NJ - as a would-be-new-handgun-owner, you are a second-class citizen ... most of our politicians and some police jurisdictions do not like you and do not want you to have a gun and will do everything legally to delay your access to one. You can call them continually to ask for status, and annoy them, and have them drag their heels even longer. Or you can just wait. It took me 8 MONTHS to get my original FID (and at the time - 20 years ago - I had a top secret government security clearance, so it isn't like I had something nefarious in my background). Add to their disdain towards our 2nd Amendment the fact that they also don't put enough manpower needed to process these applications in a timely manner.

That said, here's some people that may provide some help if you contact them.

https://www.anjrpc.org/page/A_Strikeforce

I have an open hangun permit and I put in the 4473 application yesterday. Because NJ is now a shall issue state the state police agency that handles FID cards handgun permits, and now carry permits it's taking longer to process. 

Keep in mind this is just for the NICS check and I already have an open permit

image.png.c1e1909a56d8f1992936e8453d501da2.png

Not trusting the government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it makes you a history buff

Hudson County. End of discussion

However, I would ask your references if they answered the email from FARS. You would be amazed how many references do not reply in a timely manner and how many applicants submit incorrect emails for their references.

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

4473 application?

Isn't the 4473 the purchase slip I fill out to purchase a hand gun?

Also Bucndoe - your signature is nice. 

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

1 hour ago, Michael Britt said:

It's almost been 90 days since I've put in for a permit to purchase a handgun in my Hudson County town. What should I do after I hit that mark on 9/25? Call a lawyer?

It used to be you dealt directly with the ABC officers. Now you deal with some woman administrator who gives you the runaround when you call. A guy from work put his in after me and got his permit first! That screams of an unorganized poor process!

Please advise.

https://www.nj2as.org/resources/how-to-address-permit-delays/

And

https://www.nj2as.org/resources/oecx/

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

1 hour ago, VFL said:

I put mine in on July 4 and nothing. Bergen county..

Handgun permit or FID card ?

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

3 hours ago, thefirstndsecond said:

4473 application?

Isn't the 4473 the purchase slip I fill out to purchase a hand gun?

Also Bucndoe - your signature is nice. 

yes my mistake

Not trusting the government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it makes you a history buff

2 hours ago, VFL said:

I put mine in on July 4 and nothing. Bergen county..

are you covered by township police or state police? It's time to make a polite phone call to the chief and to your state reps.

17 minutes vs 240 hours

That's comparison on NICS processing time on my last 2 firearms purchases. Can you guess which one was in DE and which was in NJ???

Kills me even more with my last purchase permit that after I paid PD for permit and they immediately notified NJSP to release permit, it still took 5 days until I got email from NJ Firearms system with the confirmation number for permit, yet when I actually picked up pistol the NJ firearms system emailed me before I even got out of the store that I had used my permit.

Very convenient how quick the system updates to show you've used a permit, but is like molasses on the prepurchase side even after local PD has cleared you for permit.

4 hours ago, Bucndoe said:

Hudson County. End of discussion

However, I would ask your references if they answered the email from FARS. You would be amazed how many references do not reply in a timely manner and how many applicants submit incorrect emails for their references.

They did...I got email confirmations.