IGNORED

NJ Hunting and Trapping Explorer

HomerJay

Having just gotten back into hunting after a bit of a break and transferring my license from NY to NJ I have been using the NJ Hunting and Trapping Explorer application to identify areas to bow hunt. I was under the assumption that the areas that show up as State WMA's were areas that were approved for hunting as long as you followed the specific season and zone regulations. After perusing this forum for a few weeks, I am getting the impression this is not the case.

Could someone point me in the appropriate direction on how to find out what State WMA's are approved for bow hunting?

Thanks.

There are some WMAs that you can't bow hunt? That's strange. If true, I would think it would be a very, very small amount (probably safety zone limitations).

I can't think of any WMAs here in the south where you can't bow hunt.

State parks and forests might be a different story - but WMAs? I thought they ALL were open to hunting (again, minus any safety zones).

Again, I have never heard of any WMAs NOT allowing deer hunting (especially bow), barring any safety zone issues.

What WMAs are you looking at?

I have a feeling whatever you are looking up, they are not truly designated state WMAs (perhaps you are looking up county or municipal lands - all bets are off for those, need to go to the local towns for that).

9 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Again, I have never heard of any WMAs NOT allowing deer hunting (especially bow), barring any safety zone issues.

What WMAs are you looking at?

I have a feeling whatever you are looking up, they are not truly designated state WMAs (perhaps you are looking up county or municipal lands - all bets are off for those, need to go to the local towns for that).

They are definitely State WMAs. I turn off the Local and Non-profit and county and municipal layers in the Explorer. For example, Assunpink is a large area, very spread out and straddles the Turnpike, are all areas within that WMA huntable?

I'll have to focus on some areas and make a call. I just want to make sure I'm following the rules and avoid fines.

Assunpink  WMA is huntable, minus any safety zones around the houses plus that "horse park" is off limits. See the WMA map - notice the crossed-out portion: https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/wmaroadmaps/assunpink_rd.pdf

The WMA maps will show things like that - it will cross-out special areas like this (I remember the White Oaks Branch WMA map used to have the golf course crossed-out (not sure who would actually think it would be OK to hunt the golf course without permission, but... whatever :)) So check the published WMA map pdf files also - they may give you additional info.

And as long as you don't shoot across the road (which is illegal in general, not just here), WMA lands that are next to the highways are fine to hunt (assuming no houses are within the safety zone limts).

But by all means, email DFW to officially get an answer if it makes you more comfortable. They will give you an answer.