IGNORED

Review of Grim Reaper Whitetail Special

archer36

On 8/12/2021 at 9:42 AM, hunterbob1 said:

When I first started bow hunting of course it was the bear green. Also super Hilbre.. then the thunderhead for many many years with the recurve and the compound. I think if I was still shooting the compound I would definitely use this head. But I shoot an xbow 380 fps. Tried the fixed blade broadheads three of them no good. Went to one mechanical, o-ring to keep the blades closed,no good. Grim reaper 3 blade 125 grain crossbow razor cut lock ring. Perfecto!!!

Killed my first deer with a super Hilbre and a Howard Hill long bow at 45lbs. Then I went to Bear Razorheads when I "graduated" to a 50 lb Ben Pearson recurve. Then Satellites and Savoras with the Jennings compounds.....Sidekick than T-Star. The good ole days!

1 minute ago, electric10162 said:

Killed my first deer with a super Hilbre and a Howard Hill long bow at 45lbs. Then I went to Bear Razorheads when I "graduated" to a 50 lb Ben Pearson recurve. Then Satellites and Savoras with the Jennings compounds.....Sidekick than T-Star. The good ole days!

Dated yourself with that post lol

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

11 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

Cool Rick, Took my first deer with a super Hilbre, 2018 gamegetter Arrow with a 50# Ben Pearson Predator.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

7 hours ago, Blood Trail said:

I’ve used Grim Reapers for years. Roll dozens of deer and countless pigs with them. I feel their older heads where better   The new ones are really stiff to open. When the Carifours first came out, I bought a couple of packs. First deer I shot with them piled up at 80 yards, but I wasn’t happy with the entry and exit hole. I called them and they said they had problems with them. No worries, as they sent me some Whitetail Specials to replace them. 

Last year, I tried the Magnus Black Hornets and recorded my shortest tracking jobs ever with a bow. 

Still like Grim Reapers. Here’s some pics of them busting through bone. Same head, two deer one week apart:

21C534CF-D807-4744-9917-86DC0A7E94FD.jpeg

989B88AC-BEBD-43CA-9B6C-C6C2127DBEA8.jpeg

2C90323D-389B-44FA-A422-30EEC3D37579.jpeg

00857520-70A2-44AF-B7C3-E0639D272C12.jpeg

60D269E3-EED1-423C-A5A0-6668EB71F9FC.jpeg

Yeah. About that short tracking job with the Magnus. I'm starting to think that big cut mechanicals cause a lot of shock as well as cutting. Gets the deer going. My shortest track jobs over the years have been from fixed blades. They slip through the ribcage almost unnoticed sometimes. The deer doesn't know what hit it and it tips over in 20 yds or less. On the flip side, I have hit deer with mechanicals and they ran 100 yds plus at breakneck speed. In 20 seconds they can cover a lot of ground. 

I can only say that it's the shot placement that matters more than size of cut. Big mechanicals are impressive but I'm undecided whether they kill faster.

Edited by archer36

3 hours ago, VFL said:

I’ve heard some good things about those Magnus Black Hornets…

Absolutely one of the best heads on the market since they came out.  I've been loving them.

3 hours ago, hunterbob1 said:

Wow, never heard of them before until now. One tough muddaf..ka.

Come on Bob...get with the program.  :rofl:

1 hour ago, archer36 said:

Going to look into these.

For a typical,  over-the-counter head, they're excellent.  Fairly sharp out of the package, although I always strop them before I hunt with them.  They fly wonderfully and Magnus has a lifetime warranty on their products.  If you beat one up, you send it back and they send you a new one

Edited by not on the rug

1 hour ago, not on the rug said:

For a typical,  over-the-counter head, they're excellent.  Fairly sharp out of the package, although I always strop them before I hunt with them.  They fly wonderfully and Magnus has a lifetime warranty on their products.  If you beat one up, you send it back and they send you a new one

Beat it up how? Like if you shot it and bent the ferrule or edge?

I’ve been shooting the slick trick magnum ss heads and they’re razor sharp out of the package (lutz steel engineered in Germany, I believe) and fly very true. Hard to stray away from what’s been working, but I’m tempted. 

2 hours ago, VFL said:

Beat it up how? Like if you shot it and bent the ferrule or edge?

I’ve been shooting the slick trick magnum ss heads and they’re razor sharp out of the package (lutz steel engineered in Germany, I believe) and fly very true. Hard to stray away from what’s been working, but I’m tempted. 

Beat up in any way.  If you damage it, they'll replace it.  Doesn't matter how it happened.  Pretty solid warranty for something that sells for $45 for a 3 pack.

I have some single bevel Bishop Archery heads that I love as well.  They have a lifetime warranty also, but they are made out of S7 tool steel and run about $150 each.  I won them in a contest on Archerytalk.   Literally the highest quality heads you could imagine.  

2 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

Beat up in any way.  If you damage it, they'll replace it.  Doesn't matter how it happened.  Pretty solid warranty for something that sells for $45 for a 3 pack.

I have some single bevel Bishop Archery heads that I love as well.  They have a lifetime warranty also, but they are made out of S7 tool steel and run about $150 each.  I won them in a contest on Archerytalk.   Literally the highest quality heads you could imagine.  

The warranty confused me for such a low price/good quality head - good to know, thanks! 

Also heard a lot of good things about Bishop heads, but I wouldn’t be able to justify paying that much. 

1 minute ago, VFL said:

The warranty confused me for such a low price/good quality head - good to know, thanks! 

Also heard a lot of good things about Bishop heads, but I wouldn’t be able to justify paying that much. 

Magnus definitely stands behind their products, and for such a reasonable price point,  I'm very happy with the quality. 

Bishop does make unbelievably high quality products.   I can't justify spending the money on them either, but was thrilled to win them a few years back