IGNORED

Brood X Cicada hatch could benefit turkey populations

Bonefreak

Could be just what’s needed for states that have had declining turkey populations. 

Cicadas will be a good food source for turkeys.....but even more importantly....they will fill the bellies of nest rading predators and poult killers and keep these bastuds preoccupied!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/lifestyle/gobble-gobble-experts-predict-wild-160531690.html

Edited by Bonefreak

Last time it was pretty wild.......cicadas staked up like cord wood....especially in Westfield.....heard the noise all summer........and they did smell when dead and piled up.......cicada killer is an interesting  hornet ??....they catch them in air and bring them under ground to their nest.......

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

6 hours ago, gobblergetter said:

Thanks for the info.

That's something I never knew or thought about.

We can use all the help we can get right now

Mike, what’s your thoughts on this downward trend of turkey populations?  As a dedicated trapper and turkey warrior, your input would be interesting. Also, any info about the turkey study you were assisting with, I believe it was East Stroudburgh University....reference West Nile I think??

And....did u see this video Fred Flintstone put up of a comprehensive Georgia study collecting various data points about turkey survival?  

5 hours ago, Fred Flintstone said:

So when do these Cicadas pop out of the ground?

Soil temp needs to be 64 degrees at 12-18 inches and then it’s on.  Brood X is the largest brood of periodical cicadas.  What we saw in 2013 was a different brood, much smaller.