IGNORED

Why so small ? (landlocked salmon regs)

JHbowhunter

HIGHLIGHTS OF PROPOSED 2022-2025 REGULATION CHANGES

Add season dates for the 2022-2025 Trout Seasons. The existing Fish Code (pdf, 265kb) only covers trout season dates through 2021. The proposed amendments will establish Opening Day of Trout Season for the next four years, as well as associated pre-season closure and in-season stocking dates. Dates proposed are consistent with previous season schedules.

Establish a statewide 12-inch minimum size limit and a daily creel limit of two fish per day for Atlantic (landlocked) salmon. This will allow the current stocking program to be expanded beyond designated Holdover Trout Lakes into other trout stocked waters.

Remove Hook's Creek Lake from the Division's Trout Stocking Program. Due to elevated salinity levels resulting from saltwater intrusion, Hook's Creek Lake can no longer support freshwater fish. It has not been stocked with trout since 2018 when freshly stocked trout died shortly after stocking.

Add three species of fish to the potentially dangerous fish species list. Black Bass, other than Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass, Blue Catfish, and the Round Goby are proposed to be added as potentially dangerous fish species which may threaten the structure of indigenous and established fish populations. Populations of these species are expanding in nearby states threatening New Jersey's freshwater fisheries resources. In 2020, a small Blue Catfish was caught in the mouth of Alloway Creek, a tributary to the Delaware River.

Clarify NOAC effective upon filing. Clarify that Notices of Administrative Change utilized to comply with season, size, gear and possession limits for migratory species in order comply with fishery management plans approved by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) or to maintain consistency with any Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council plan adopted by the National Marine Fisheries Service, are effective upon filing. Migratory species include Alewife, American Eel, American Shad, Blueback Herring, Hickory Shad, and Striped Bass.

Edited by nickmarch

6 hours ago, OMC said:

Mark I haven’t researched whether LS can reproduce in lakes but as far as know they don’t. That was problem with the Lakers in RV they reproduced. I know they did a number on the herring / alewives population but was that the only reason the alewives population has dropped off in that body of water ? 
Hybrids eat more then both Lakers and LS but since they can’t reproduce the lakes they are stocked in can handle it. Interesting discussion though. 

Good point on the hybreds and fact of reproduction, definitely a point to consider. I do think lakers and LS will target and eat larger species as they get larger as compared to hybreds that stick to herring and sunnies. 

AWM

2 hours ago, MGHunter66 said:

Good point on the hybreds and fact of reproduction, definitely a point to consider. I do think lakers and LS will target and eat larger species as they get larger as compared to hybreds that stick to herring and sunnies. 

If the LS get big enough to eat other species that would be very interesting. In fact I think they would become my primary target. Can’t even imagine what a 10 - 20 lb LS would be like and I’m all in !! 
LS primarily feed in open water chasing herring where as Lakers tend to stay closer to the bottom. 

14 hours ago, Reeltight said:

Do they really take the public’s opinion into account when it comes to freshwater regulations? They totally ignore the public’s opinion when it comes to saltwater regs. Look how they ignored the public’s opinion on the fluke regs this year. 

B9B44AD1-BA70-435A-B8CF-B3FC47312487.jpeg

Saltwater regs are made in a radically different fashion than are freshwater regs!  I have been highly successful in getting lots of regulation changes to trout fishing in NJ over the last two decades working through Trout Unlimited.  You have to understand the process and then participate in the process.  Unfortunately, far too few know or do either of those things.  

14 hours ago, nickmarch said:

No!  They don't ever consider opinions.  

They are taking comments/opinions on the size limit topic in this thread along with opinions on other changes to the regulations in a few weeks. 

The regs are already published in the NJ Register so the chances of any changes are slim to none. The comment period is a requirement but they wont change anything.

They are going to stock the same waters as trout with salmon.  They sill release salmon that are 14 to 15 inches.  Salmon won't reproduce but for some strange reason they are putting a 12" limit? A 12" limit when they are stocking fish that are 14 to 15 inches.  

It is NJ!

You are wrong on every point, so I don't know where to start.  These regulation proposed changes would take place 1/1/2022.  They are NOT for this fishing year.  As far as "they don't ever consider opinions", I have far too many instances that disprove that to list.  Regulations can and are easily influenced by the hunting and angling community, at least for those of us that take the time to get involved.  Most never take that time, so they just hide behind a keyboard complaining.  Sound familiar? 

11 hours ago, OMC said:

Mark I haven’t researched whether LS can reproduce in lakes but as far as know they don’t. That was problem with the Lakers in RV they reproduced. I know they did a number on the herring / alewives population but was that the only reason the alewives population has dropped off in that body of water ? 
Hybrids eat more then both Lakers and LS but since they can’t reproduce the lakes they are stocked in can handle it. Interesting discussion though. 

Herring population crashed due to there not being enough plankton in there .

‘if they used the pumps to put the river water in there during high flows as it was designed to do that crash wouldn’t have happened .

Hoping to see after they run those pumps to get levels back up since the dam repairs that it helps to rebuild a fishery for a bunch of years .

as it took many for it to become infertile.

woukd have been nice to see the Kama loops take off there , but it never happened .

laker fishery is also nothing like it used to be , and was def a mistake ever having that program there 

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

Saltwater regs are made in a radically different fashion than are freshwater regs!  I have been highly successful in getting lots of regulation changes to trout fishing in NJ over the last two decades working through Trout Unlimited.  You have to understand the process and then participate in the process.  Unfortunately, far too few know or do either of those things.  

I just bitch to you and then you take care of it :up:

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….