IGNORED

Backpacking & Fishing

JR8899

Hello all I am looking for a nudge in the right direction to start my own research. I am an avid backpacker and grew up saltwater fishing. I however, have little to no experience freshwater fishing. I have long romanticized the idea spending the weekend hiking, camping, fishing, and cooking my catch over the campfire. Fly fishing seems daunting. Is there another method / species anyone would recommend for a beginner? Ideally something that isn’t catch and release. I do most of my hiking/camping in NY (Hudson valley, Catksills, Adirondacks). Any help is greatly appreciated!

If you don't want to take up fly fishing yet, there's plenty of steams in the Catskills where spin fishing for trout is 100% legal, just have to make sure you're not in the fly only spots. Do some research on Roscoe NY, Walton, Hancock areas. Would probably be perfect for what you're looking to do.

Edited by Hunter115522

1 minute ago, Hunter115522 said:

If you don't want to take up fly fishing yet, there's plenty of steams in the Catskills where spin fishing for trout is 100% legal, just have to make sure you're not int he fly only spots. Do some research on Roscoe NY, Walton, Hancock areas. Would probably be perfect for what you're looking to do.

Awesome, definitely will look into it. Thank You!

The Adirondacks would be prime but the trout ponds can be tough fishing from shore without a pack canoe or float tube. I would try to focus on areas where you know there are warm water species like bass, perch, pike, pickerel etc. These fish are much easier to catch from the shore and can be caught basically all year long. Once the water starts to warm up the back country trout scene up in the Adirondacks is done for the most part. Keep to simple. Get a pack rod in the 6’6 to 7 foot range. Light to medium action so you can cover it all. Small box with a few spinners, spoons, rapalas, small spinner baits. Something you can get some distance with casting. Some weights and hooks for live bait. Good luck. 

On 2/27/2021 at 7:57 AM, Mallard1100 said:

The Adirondacks would be prime but the trout ponds can be tough fishing from shore without a pack canoe or float tube. I would try to focus on areas where you know there are warm water species like bass, perch, pike, pickerel etc. These fish are much easier to catch from the shore and can be caught basically all year long. Once the water starts to warm up the back country trout scene up in the Adirondacks is done for the most part. Keep to simple. Get a pack rod in the 6’6 to 7 foot range. Light to medium action so you can cover it all. Small box with a few spinners, spoons, rapalas, small spinner baits. Something you can get some distance with casting. Some weights and hooks for live bait. Good luck. 

Sounds good, Thank you!

Welcome to the site like others said Pennsylvania and the Adirondacks.

Pennsylvania, the NCT shares about 15 miles of the 134-mile Baker Trail at Cook Forest State Park before wandering through the Allegheny National Forest and up into New York. There, it travels along with the Finger Lakes Trail for nearly 400 miles, exploring the southern tips of the Finger Lakes before cutting across central New York to reach the Adirondack Mountains. Its west-to-east route through the Adirondacks takes the NCT right across the Northville-Lake Placid Trail, a 125-mile trail that explores the Adirondack Mountains from north to south.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

On 3/4/2021 at 11:37 AM, hunterbob1 said:

Welcome to the site like others said Pennsylvania and the Adirondacks.

Pennsylvania, the NCT shares about 15 miles of the 134-mile Baker Trail at Cook Forest State Park before wandering through the Allegheny National Forest and up into New York. There, it travels along with the Finger Lakes Trail for nearly 400 miles, exploring the southern tips of the Finger Lakes before cutting across central New York to reach the Adirondack Mountains. Its west-to-east route through the Adirondacks takes the NCT right across the Northville-Lake Placid Trail, a 125-mile trail that explores the Adirondack Mountains from north to south.

my wife and i use to camp in the allegheny national forrest. beautiful over there. i wish i could move out there and fish the clarion river

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

I agree, maybe NY State or PA.  I'm sure you'll get a ticket for something if you try to enjoy yourself like that in NJ.:up:

i agree. i have done it though. not so much backpacking, but with my canoe. some rivers offer islands:ninja:

dont forget your red flashlight and hobo stove.