IGNORED

1st ML Deer Season in New Jersey with THOMPSON CENTER RENAGADE, 5 point buck

bushden

14 minutes ago, bushden said:

I had a lot of fun with my renegade over the years and learned a lot about ML's from it. A lot of deer went into the freezer thanks to that  TC Renegade, I was feeding 4 sons back then

A couple guys I new would shoot either two maxi balls or two maxi hunters with a charge they said took a lot of trial and error with powder to get the first to hit within an inch of center and the other would be an inch to two inches left or right of the first.these guys both served on military and both at the time LEO’s.I’m not sure those who hired them got the best :rofl:  My dad brothers  and I put a lot of deer in the freezer as well as having a hell of a good time.

Edited by buckhound

4 hours ago, buckhound said:

A couple guys I new would shoot either two maxi balls or two maxi hunters with a charge they said took a lot of trial and error with powder to get the first to hit within an inch of center and the other would be an inch to two inches left or right of the first.these guys both served on military and both at the time LEO’s.I’m not sure those who hired them got the best :rofl:  My dad brothers  and I put a lot of deer in the freezer as well as having a hell of a good time.

Did I understand the post right that they put two (2) maxi balls down the barrel and shot two at a time.? Where were they LE's at DOD POLICE ?

Edited by bushden
SPELLING

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

1 minute ago, bushden said:

Did I understand the post right that they put two (23) maxi balls down the barrel and shot two at a time.? Where were they LE's at DOD POLICE ?

Yes they used two 50 caliber maxi balls and or maxi hunters  at one time they loved shooting and just seeing what the guns could do . I never asked the charge amount but they would shoot a hundred yards consistently . one was a local officer in south Jersey the other was internal affairs with the state.

44 minutes ago, buckhound said:

Yes they used two 50 caliber maxi balls and or maxi hunters  at one time they loved shooting and just seeing what the guns could do . I never asked the charge amount but they would shoot a hundred yards consistently . one was a local officer in south Jersey the other was internal affairs with the state.

WOW IDK but it sounds like a dangerous load.

HONOR THE FALLEN
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

5 hours ago, bushden said:

I shoot the tc xtp's out of my Rem 700 but never thought to try them in my TC Renegade.  In the day before the Rem 700 I always used 90gr powder and buffalo bullets in the renegade.  It will give me something to do on a Sunny day at the range.

I hope they shoot good for you.  

16 hours ago, Nomad said:

I don't know I can't see down the barrel.   I pump hot soapy water thru it after using, then oil it up, that's about it.

If you remove the nipple you could put a snake light in the hole then look down the barrel.

HONOR THE FALLEN

6 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I don’t know if I want to look after 41 years LOL

You might find something important down there you lost a long time ago :laughing:

HONOR THE FALLEN

I still have mine and use it occasionally. But here's my favorite story. 

1987, I get my muzzy license and over christmas break my dad wants me to go do a drive in Allamuchy which is 1.5 hours north. Just me and him. Where we hunted was a 40 minute walk in and 1.5 hour drag out. I'm not that into it. I'm super into surfing so he said "check the waves, then we'll go". Waves suck so off we go. 

We drive north and set up in the parking lot - go to load the gun and, NO RAMROD. We are dead in the water. He's like - no problem, I know what to do. We drive to the sportshop - closed over the holidays. We then end up going to the hardware store and buy 1/4" dowling. 

Reset in the parking lot. I'm given strict instructions as where to walk and sit and my dad is going to wait and do the drive. 

I set up, have the dowling ready for a re load. It's dry and crunchy and cold...

What sounds like a small army marching becomes 2 dozen deer standing right in front of me. I put the iron sights on one of the bigger does, squeeze it off and she goes back down the hill in the other direction the rest of the deer went. 

My dad shows up, sweaty as heck cause he had to run down then up the mountain to turn them. He's wearing a woolrich pant outfit and blaze orange vest and wool hat. No under armour back then. 

We find the blood and track the doe to literally the bottom of the hill, the WORST place a deer could die. I weigh about 130 lbs so not much help. 

Nevertheless, 2 hours later we are heading home with a big fat doe in the back of a Datsun b210 wagon and couldn't be happier. 

I'll never get rid of my renegade. 

1 hour ago, inletmike said:

I still have mine and use it occasionally. But here's my favorite story. 

1987, I get my muzzy license and over christmas break my dad wants me to go do a drive in Allamuchy which is 1.5 hours north. Just me and him. Where we hunted was a 40 minute walk in and 1.5 hour drag out. I'm not that into it. I'm super into surfing so he said "check the waves, then we'll go". Waves suck so off we go. 

We drive north and set up in the parking lot - go to load the gun and, NO RAMROD. We are dead in the water. He's like - no problem, I know what to do. We drive to the sportshop - closed over the holidays. We then end up going to the hardware store and buy 1/4" dowling. 

Reset in the parking lot. I'm given strict instructions as where to walk and sit and my dad is going to wait and do the drive. 

I set up, have the dowling ready for a re load. It's dry and crunchy and cold...

What sounds like a small army marching becomes 2 dozen deer standing right in front of me. I put the iron sights on one of the bigger does, squeeze it off and she goes back down the hill in the other direction the rest of the deer went. 

My dad shows up, sweaty as heck cause he had to run down then up the mountain to turn them. He's wearing a woolrich pant outfit and blaze orange vest and wool hat. No under armour back then. 

We find the blood and track the doe to literally the bottom of the hill, the WORST place a deer could die. I weigh about 130 lbs so not much help. 

Nevertheless, 2 hours later we are heading home with a big fat doe in the back of a Datsun b210 wagon and couldn't be happier. 

I'll never get rid of my renegade. 

Good story, that what this sport is all about, memories of hunts yesterday !!

HONOR THE FALLEN