IGNORED

Age this buck

VFL

Two observations regarding these “age this” posts. 
I enjoy them but unless you actually know the age of the deer, or it has a readily identifiable characteristic that would point to a certain age class, or kill it, it’s somewhat useless for anything other then entertainment. 
Also, I think most guys use the antlers too much in trying to determine an age class. 

32 minutes ago, Pathman said:

I enjoy them but unless you actually know the age of the deer, or it has a readily identifiable characteristic that would point to a certain age class, or kill it, it’s somewhat useless for anything other then entertainment. 
Also, I think most guys use the antlers too much in trying to determine an age class. 

I don’t know if it’s useless for anything other than entertainment. I think it’s educational, as well. Some people might shoot a deer like that thinking it’s an older deer based on the antlers. I think the discussion and the “age this” posts help people identify characteristics that might make a deer a 2.5 vs a 3.5 year old deer that they never (or rarely) thought of in the past. But yes, they are also entertaining as we all like pictures more than words! 

4 hours ago, Pathman said:

How can you already know the age of the deer unless it's behind a high fence?  The idea is to know what to look at - and the antlers are the very LAST thing to look at - that gives you a relatively accurate age for a given buck.  I find most bucks up to 5.5 easy to age and wouldn't be off by more than a year.  For me, it's when they hit 6.5 and older which is rare that I struggle.  Antlers are more a function of genetics and diet than strictly age.  But body dimensions don't lie, hence why I look closely at the frame, the length of the legs, if the backend looks larger than the front end, the neck (in and out of rut), the gut, and if the back is straight or beginning to have a sway.  Of course, the face/skull is also critical.  I look at antlers last.  Sometimes they can help confirm age after looking at the other factors that are all more important.    

3 hours ago, VFL said:

I don’t know if it’s useless for anything other than entertainment. I think it’s educational, as well. Some people might shoot a deer like that thinking it’s an older deer based on the antlers. I think the discussion and the “age this” posts help people identify characteristics that might make a deer a 2.5 vs a 3.5 year old deer that they never (or rarely) thought of in the past. But yes, they are also entertaining as we all like pictures more than words! 

The only reason I say that is because if you don’t kill the deer and have it aged, or have history with the deer to ensure you know the correct age, the educational value will be minimal because you’ll never know if you were right on your guess. 

Edited by Pathman

6 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

How can you already know the age of the deer unless it's behind a high fence?  The idea is to know what to look at - and the antlers are the very LAST thing to look at - that gives you a relatively accurate age for a given buck.  I find most bucks up to 5.5 easy to age and wouldn't be off by more than a year.  For me, it's when they hit 6.5 and older which is rare that I struggle.  Antlers are more a function of genetics and diet than strictly age.  But body dimensions don't lie, hence why I look closely at the frame, the length of the legs, if the backend looks larger than the front end, the neck (in and out of rut), the gut, and if the back is straight or beginning to have a sway.  Of course, the face/skull is also critical.  I look at antlers last.  Sometimes they can help confirm age after looking at the other factors that are all more important.    

If you have a history with a buck you could certainly know it’s age prior to killing it, that’s what I was referring to. 

Edited by Pathman