IGNORED

Found Everything Needed For Mineral Site

BHC

Time to replenish my site today and create a new one.
1 part salt, one part Dical, one part trace minerals and one part dry molasses. I have deer on it non stop from early spring to about September  for almost 3 years. They hit it early Spring even before I add anything and that makes the site at least 9 months from the last time I added any mineral.

1F271C4F-068B-4D0D-9391-F7FD3DC2F390.jpeg

Edited by Lunatic

7 minutes ago, Tuck said:

What is your process Mike for making the site?? Do you dig out an area and them just fill it with minerals or do you mix dirt back in or something else?? Thanks

To start with I created a small depression so the mineral wold soak into the ground instead of washing away by rain water. Mayebe 4' diameter and 6 to 4" deep in the middle. The first application I mixed lightly into the dirt but then I just add mineral and mix with previous layer, again lightly.

I went this morning......while walking in I was just a few hundred yards from my truck and heard a few birds gobbling not far from me.....I then decided to get things ready for a new stand location over looking a scrape that's been there for a few years.....I brought my climber and bow holder (hanger), found a tree, 20 yards from the scrape....climb up, screwed in the bow hanger, and two other hooks, great view now, it will be better come fall, only two saplings needed to be cut. I then walked further to my mineral site where I put LUCKY BUCK out two weeks ago, I was half way there and saw a bear small. The LUCKY BUCK site was hit hard but nothing to right home about .....Four does that look like they are about to explode with fawns, a good amount of bucks but all spikes as of now, one was a branch antler buck bit still small for now, and various other deer.

So in two weeks I will check it again and see if the homemade mineral lick  works.......

I tasted very little of the salt I'm using, WOW !!!! I felt my blood pressure go up

image.thumb.png.7c94e041d911f2c221081357a056a147.png

On 5/26/2020 at 12:33 PM, BHC said:

So I have plenty of Lucky Buck, but wanted to make my own mineral lick, the products needed could be found locally but not dicalcium phosphate, I contacted many local places with failure, so I was going to goto Tractor Supply and see if they could order dicalcium phosphate the other products they have. This morning a feed/grain store in PA replied to my email that they have all the products in stock. I drove the 45 min drive to get it, and decided to double my order when they worker told me dicalcium phosphate isn't impossible to get, it just could take weeks. I will add to my mix about a quart of Lucky Buck for scent/flavor......I will put it out next week, as I already have a bucket of Lucky Buck out since this past Thursday 

So what I got was:

100 lbs of dicalcium phosphate

200 lbs of Trace Mineral

200 lbs of Stock Salt

Total was $115.00

The Mill in Germansville, Inc.

7130 Bake Oven Road

Germansville, PA 18053

Phone: 610-767-9650

Fax: 610-767-1792

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE:
Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $30.00
1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $13.00 you need one bag.
2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loos kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $9.00 you need two bags.
1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need one bag.

Directions:
-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.
-Mix all together well but not until ready to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.
-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.
-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance: -Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after for maximum attraction and Antler Growth

image.thumb.png.0567e7070f676578850a49dfe3524cb3.png

I am thinking you are using 4 bags of salt and no trace minerals. I will check when I get home since I have the Trace mineral salt and Trace mineral but I think you are mainly using salt with very little trace mineral, if any

5 minutes ago, BHC said:

that recipe isn't mine, I found it on the internet, it's been on for years, many other nationwide claim to use it and claim it works

Yes but I think the trace mineral salt is not trace mineral in your recipe. What I think I am looking at in your pictures is 4 bags of salt and 2 bags of Dical. Trace mineral includes several minerals in it, including dical but your trace mineral salt is just  salt. Again when I get home tonight I will take a picture of trace minerals and whats in it

From the videos I watched they all say the salt breaks down the bitter taste of the Di cal, trace mineral has other minerals in it.....I just read and watched many different people and seems they all do the same.....I let you know in 2 weeks

7 minutes ago, smittty said:

Ok why can’t you just use trace mineral salt. 

You can. Shit slat block will bring them in.

However, if you want ti give them proper supplements to promoter growth then you give them more minerals and less salt.