IGNORED

how to make one of these feeder hangers on the cheap?

1 hour ago, mazzgolf said:

But your bracket thing is so awesome :) I'm definitely gonna make one of them, probably this weekend!

@Greg BTW: What is the length of both beams (the horizontal and vertical beams?)

I'm pretty positive it came from one 2x4, also a side note, cover eye hook with a piece of tubing or something as sometimes the pulley squeaked on the eye hook in winds.

IMG_6099.jpeg

IMG_6098.jpeg

Edited by Greg

Well, it's easy to make at least:)  Gonna be hard getting it up a tree but I'll manage. Thanks for the tips, we'll see how it goes out in the field. Only cost $22 (and that included the framing angle and corner brace, which was probably overkill), so it is really cheap enough to at least try and see how it works.

5/16"x3/14" Spring Link (zinc plated): $3
3" framing angle (steel): $1.60
5" Corner brace/angle iron (zinc plated): $3
5/16" x 4" Eye bolt with nut (zinc plated): $0.80
1 1/2" pulley (zinc plated): $6
1/8" x 50' paracord rope: $3.60
2x4 8' pressure treated wood: $4

I had 2 ratchet straps and some 2.5" stainless steel and 3" deck screws already that I used. Also had some leftover black spray paint sitting in the basement that I used to darken the color of the wood and cover some of the metal.

Here's what the test run looks like:

feeder-hanger.jpg.e23d7438496e2f5cb98579e1e881e1d7.jpg

Not worth the trouble, just throw the corn on the ground.  Then you can even say that it is a food plot and you were hoping it would grow.  Just a bad farmer.:wacko:

"Gesus Christmas!  I keep spreading the dang corn, but the dern deer eat it before it can grow!?"

Edited by Nomad

On 5/11/2020 at 12:05 PM, nickmarch said:

Another option. 6" pvc pipe, fitting, cap and tie offs.  There is a screen in the bottom to Kat water out. Holds 50 pounds of corn and is easy to fill.

You can have the bottom on the ground or hang it higher to keep turkeys and other critters from feeding directly from the feeder.

20200511_115624.jpg

20200511_115531.jpg

Been using these for years.

I had one of those PVC feeders once. Until it was stolen. lol

Anyway, these passive feeders like the PVC tubes and things like that allow the critters to eat as much as they want whenever they want it. Corn goes too fast and the animals can go nocturnal and still feed themselves.

I like my auto-feeder - goes off once in the morning so they are accustomed to coming at a time of day when I want them to. Plus, the corn lasts WAY longer this way. The deer are prey, not pets - I want to bait them, not feed them ;) 

Edited by mazzgolf

1 hour ago, mazzgolf said:

Well, it's easy to make at least:)  Gonna be hard getting it up a tree but I'll manage. Thanks for the tips, we'll see how it goes out in the field. Only cost $22 (and that included the framing angle and corner brace, which was probably overkill), so it is really cheap enough to at least try and see how it works.

5/16"x3/14" Spring Link (zinc plated): $3
3" framing angle (steel): $1.60
5" Corner brace/angle iron (zinc plated): $3
5/16" x 4" Eye bolt with nut (zinc plated): $0.80
1 1/2" pulley (zinc plated): $6
1/8" x 50' paracord rope: $3.60
2x4 8' pressure treated wood: $4

I had 2 ratchet straps and some 2.5" stainless steel and 3" deck screws already that I used. Also had some leftover black spray paint sitting in the basement that I used to darken the color of the wood and cover some of the metal.

Here's what the test run looks like:

feeder-hanger.jpg.e23d7438496e2f5cb98579e1e881e1d7.jpg

Looks good. My only change would be your rope.

Get something like this...$5.47 at Wally World

image.thumb.png.1df7def2c38c9b9e2fad7e32317eec0f.png

My "Handle" is not my aim, I'm paralyzed as a C 4-5 quadriplegic.