IGNORED

Dog leash experiment

2 hours ago, not on the rug said:

If the dog is chewing through leashes, it's a human problem and not a dog problem

I am in no way a professional trainer like you but I have trained multiple gun dogs to high standards. Without a doubt if you have a standard leash and a wild puppy, only a few bites a walk and that leash is trashed. The problem needs to be addressed but the actual chewing through a leash is not a reflection of the handler without knowing the full situation. 

3 hours ago, not on the rug said:

The instant the dog puts the leash in it's mouth, a verbal and/or physical correction should be given and the leash taken from it's mouth.  If the dog is chewing through leashes, it's a human problem and not a dog problem

Agree and corrections are given. I'm by no means a pro but overall not doing too bad. As another poster mentioned only takes a few nips and leash is trashed. Hopefully he will outgrow it. Thanks for all suggestions 

51 minutes ago, Hawkeye57 said:

I am in no way a professional trainer like you but I have trained multiple gun dogs to high standards. Without a doubt if you have a standard leash and a wild puppy, only a few bites a walk and that leash is trashed. The problem needs to be addressed but the actual chewing through a leash is not a reflection of the handler without knowing the full situation. 

I get it.  Just be sure that you're watching the pup like a hawk.  The instant he makes a move towards the leash, give the correction then.  He needs to learn that the leash is none of his business and not his to touch.  I like to correct the state of mind/thought.  Again, he needs to learn that the leash is none of his business.

7 minutes ago, Coyoteslayer said:

Agree and corrections are given. I'm by no means a pro but overall not doing too bad. As another poster mentioned only takes a few nips and leash is trashed. Hopefully he will outgrow it. Thanks for all suggestions 

I'm sure you're doing fine.  Things happen fast with dogs and children.  Just make sure to stay focused on the pup and he will learn right from wrong soon enough 

52 minutes ago, nickmarch said:

Put some cayenne pepper on the leash and he will learn real fast!

When he was real little I got this sour spray repellant and he seemed like he enjoyed it lol I stopped using it. Unfortunately after he f#cked up my couch lol.