IGNORED

Prescription Eye Pro

any optical can get a good polycarb lens for protection. You don't need a fancy pair of glasses for that. Don't look for a frame that sits close to your face. If they sit too close they will fog in cooler weather.  Also, don't overthink this. You need basic vision not the ultimate protection.  If a barrel blows, your corneas may be in good shape for the next guy to get the transplant but you will have bigger issues.  Also look for Trivex.  It's a little more money but the optics are better.

1 hour ago, optowalt said:

any optical can get a good polycarb lens for protection. You don't need a fancy pair of glasses for that. Don't look for a frame that sits close to your face. If they sit too close they will fog in cooler weather.  Also, don't overthink this. You need basic vision not the ultimate protection.  If a barrel blows, your corneas may be in good shape for the next guy to get the transplant but you will have bigger issues.  Also look for Trivex.  It's a little more money but the optics are better.

Thanks for the tip. 

I went to look at frames today and told the sales person I was going to use them for hunting, archery, and shooting. Basically as my outdoor glasses and the guy pointed me to some thin frames that looked like they wouldn’t survive a 2 foot fall.

I'm planning on going somewhere else this weekend. I just want a pair that don't get in my line of sight when I aim with my bow or my gun. 

Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Member

NWTF Member

16 minutes ago, MPSR said:

I have Wiley X.. Yes they are expensive but they have amazing customer services and can be found at any "good" optical store.. Mine are no scripts, but I would not waist my time on another pair of glasses.. 

Thanks for the recommendation. These are on my list. 

Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Member

NWTF Member

I have Wiley X - Oakley- costa- all In prescription for sport related activities. 

I’ll say this- you will find issue with every pair when it comes to hunting. If you can’t afford multiple frames for different scenarios: go with what is most comfortable and normal looking so you can get most use out of them lol.  

you will be able to adjust how you do things to suit your frames. At the end of the day vision is more important than anything else! 

I highly recommend Sportrx.com. 

if you are halfway decent with a computer- you will find the site easy to use. Their customer service beats any local store or company. 

example: I have Oakley half jackets and have 4 sets of prescription lens sets. Each for dif hunting/shooting scenario. Way cheaper option to just pop out lens especially when duck hunting going from clear to start then able to pop in grey as the sun is fully up. 

On two separate occasions I felt the lens wasn’t right when I got it from them: they gave me free overnight return and got me a new set within 48 hours- free overnight delivery since they messed up. You can also get name brand frames but with their generic plastic lens at a good discount. 

all total: you are looking at $300-$500 for a set. 

Archery is hardest to accommodate. I’ve learned to lean my head ever so slightly more than usual and I can get a good sight picture. 

rifle/shotgun- you will be fine no matter what you choose. 

I had Multiple sets of Wiley x from my time in the army. 

I switched to Oakley because I didn’t want to look like a tactical loser when not in the field lol. 

I have two sets of Wiley-X prescription glasses.

One is WX-Gravity.  I got them with Transitions (tints the glass darker in the sun to make them sunglasses). They come with an interesting insert - kinda like a foam-lined insert. Supposed to be for motorcycle riders - keeps the wind out. Good for windy days, too, I guess. I used them because the foam makes them a little more comfortable to wear. When I wear them, I look like the human-fly though :)

The other one I bought a couple years later was the WX-Vapor - it came with 3 replaceable shields (orange, clear, grey) with an internal clip holding the prescription glass. You can easily swap out shields depending on conditions - the prescription glass remain clipped on the inside. They are wraparound which I like to keep bright sun out of my eyes and more protection when on the range. Plus the shields are shatterproof. They are more aesthetically pleasing (i.e. they look better :) )

When buying with prescription lenses, these are very expensive - hundreds of dollars per pair, even with insurance like VSP.

I'm OK with them, but no matter what, you will be dealing with the fogging issue.  And this is what I hate (not just with Wiley-X but all glasses). I hate it so much, I finally broke down and got contact lenses -- even after spending I-don't-want-to-know-how-much on these expensive glasses.

I don't wear contacts everyday - I have a separate pair of "normal" (non-sport, non-expensive) glasses I wear while driving or needing to see far away. I just bought contact lenses for hunting. I bought one box for my left eye so that I can see distance, a different box (with different prescription) for the other side to see close up - so I can still use my phone (holding it out a bit) but yet see very good at distance. I don't have problem with my bow (or gun) with this setup. I have daily contacts (the ones you wear for a single day and throw away when you remove them after that one day). I bought a 90-day supply and I've gone through 2 hunting seasons before I ran out (actually, I think I still have 2 days worth left) - so my supply lasted a good amount of time. I only wear them when hunting in the mornings when the temps are such that I know my glasses are going to fog up (so on really cold mornings I wear contacts because otherwise my glasses will fog). If its upper 40s  and higher, I don't wear them - just wear glasses and I'm good.

I know that doesn't answer the question about glasses, but did want to point out the other option of contacts. I love them because now I never have to worry about fogging. Oh, and when its raining, no longer have to worry about wiping off my glasses every 5 minutes.

BTW: someone mentioned something a while ago in another thread about the need to wear glasses while pheasant hunting to avoid getting a stray pellet in your eye. That was a good point. Those Wiley-X WX-Vapor glasses are good for this because if you wear contacts you can simply remove the prescription glass clip and still use the WX-Vapor with only the shield. And the shields are a bit further away from your face (compared to the prescription glass) so the fogging issue tends to not be as bad. And the shields are shatterproof so good protection from a stray pellet.