IGNORED

Shoulder blade roast

Njkoren

Finaly got a chance to make this recipe. This is Steven Rinella's venison shoulder blade roast. Pretty easy to cook and a good use for those front shoulders instead of putting them in the grinder. Instead of boning them out you just cut through the meat down to the bone and the use the bone saw to make two or three roasts per shoulder. I welcome any tricks or ideas to cut down on the butchering and processing.

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/recipes/bone-in-blade-roast-with-root-vegetables-recipe

I have also made his sweedish meatballs which were good enough to impress any self proclaimed "foodie". 

Osso bucco is next on the hit list. I definitely recommend his stuff.

20200209_203207.jpg

This is interesting, and looks good. Wish I knew this when I just butchered my first deer a few weeks ago.

HOWEVER, I will say that my shoulders (both of them) were severely blood-clotted. It was harvested with a slug gun. I don't know if the bloodshot came from the slug wound itself or if it was due simply to hanging it head-down, but I can say the shoulder was very bloodshot and did NOT look like the venison shoulder that guy had in the video in the OP. My shoulders had the "bloody snot" (for lack of the proper medical term ;) ) and as best as I tried, I could not clean up the meat. I ended up taking as much as I could but a lot of the shoulder had to be thrown away.

How do you clean up a "blood-snotted" shoulder to look like it in the video so you can cook it in a slow cooker like the video?