IGNORED

my thoughts on the new online permit/FID application process

3 hours ago, smittty said:

I would be flipping. I was not happy about 20days. 

And there is nothing we can do about it other than keep calling and asking about it. I haven't figured out a way to complain without causing me further grief.

I just counted: it's day #43. I'll call later today to ask, again, about it.

And it is day #7 since I got the email saying:

Status Update: Approved. ... Your application for a New Jersey Firearm Purchaser Identification Card and/or Permit to Purchase a Handgun(s) has been approved by the issuing authority. The physical card/permit must be obtained at your issuing police department (as indicated on your application).

So, so much for that court decision that says I should have received it "immediately" (that's the word the judges use) when everything is in and no good cause exists to deny me:

"If the reports so obtained do not disclose a criminal conviction or any other disqualifying disability, the “good cause” for the denial of the permit evaporates, and an identification card must be granted immediately. "

But, I'm sure they will come up with some excuse to claim they are still in compliance with the law. Maybe they consider something longer than 7 days to fit in the definition of "immediately" (since the judge doesn't define how long "immediately" is, they might as well make that up as they go along, too).

I have someone in the PD who helped explain this to me.  Once the online system says everything checks out and you’re good to get your permit issued, the local PD still needs to type it out and get the chief’s signature.

You’d think that since they have a computerized application process that all the PD would need to do is print something out and then have the chief sign it.  Nope, it’s still manual on the back end.  If the system were designed properly, after the background check was completed the chief would be emailed a link to the application.  He’d be able to look at the completed application online and click on a box approving it.  Then the applicant would be emailed a confirmation number that would be entered into the NJ system at the time of purchase.  Mindlessly easy, and it would take the chief a few minutes to approve each application.

If I am lucky, I’ll have my permit Friday AM.  7-day turnaround from my local PD.  They are awesome!

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

4 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I have someone in the PD who helped explain this to me.  Once the online system says everything checks out and you’re good to get your permit issued, the local PD still needs to type it out and get the chief’s signature.

You’d think that since they have a computerized application process that all the PD would need to do is print something out and then have the chief sign it.  Nope, it’s still manual on the back end.  If the system were designed properly, after the background check was completed the chief would be emailed a link to the application.  He’d be able to look at the completed application online and click on a box approving it.  Then the applicant would be emailed a confirmation number that would be entered into the NJ system at the time of purchase.  Mindlessly easy, and it would take the chief a few minutes to approve each application.

If I am lucky, I’ll have my permit Friday AM.  7-day turnaround from my local PD.  They are awesome!

After it is signed be the Chief/OIC, you still need to prove who you are, pay upon pickup, and sign the permit in the presence of the issuing authority. Also all FID cards require a fingerprint on the back to be valid.

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

After it is signed be the Chief/OIC, you still need to prove who you are, pay upon pickup, and sign the permit in the presence of the issuing authority. Also all FID cards require a fingerprint on the back to be valid.

And if you live in an NJSP patrolled area, after you get the email saying approved, your permits go into the approved pile. Which then gets a “signature” from the colonel. Then the permits are sorted by region manually. Then they get mailed interoffice style to the region head quarters. Then they get sorted by station with other mail. Then they get relayed to the station you applied through. The mail gets sorted again. Then the person in charge of firearms makes the calls to the applicant. My point, once your approved the wheels of the process continue to turn slowly and inefficiently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And all of this is "common sense gun control" ... got it. :banghead:

FWIW: I called my firearms division in my local PD this morning - got voice mail and had to leave a message. Left a message including my name, my phone number, my FID number, the application confirmation number, explained my situation (been over 40 days since I applied, over 7 days since approved)... haven't heard back yet. I'll call tomorrow because I don't expect a call back since it's so late in the day already.

BTW: if I don't get it tomorrow, I'm not getting it until next week at least - because I was earlier told that the people who finish up the paperwork do not work on Fridays. But I guess that's also to be considered "good cause" for not giving me my permit in a timely manner.:whatever:

Nothing for nothing The problem is your local pd. I have been hereing these nite mare story's for years. I'm lucky my town has always been pretty decent like two week this time was 20days witch should have been faster but they have always been good so i didn't bitch and it's a big township. And I must say I really like the simple online thing. The part I can't stand is having to pay for something you just did meaning the permit I pay the state there fig then I have to pay an FFL another 50.00 to do it again. When Murphy goes witch he will cause the dems are even had a nuff of him I wish all that stupid shithe dreamed up will go with him but it won't 

2 hours ago, Bucndoe said:

I believe you are correct, however, I have taken receipt of a purchase permit only to find out at the FFL that the chief never signed it.  Lucky for me, small town where everyone knows everyone else, the chief went to the FFL to sign it the next day, and I came to the FFL later in the afternoon to finish the paperwork.

I also assumed I paid the fee for the permit online and don't need to pay upon pickup.  I could be mistaken, but that's what I think it said.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

7 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I believe you are correct, however, I have taken receipt of a purchase permit only to find out at the FFL that the chief never signed it.  Lucky for me, small town where everyone knows everyone else, the chief went to the FFL to sign it the next day, and I came to the FFL later in the afternoon to finish the paperwork.

I also assumed I paid the fee for the permit online and don't need to pay upon pickup.  I could be mistaken, but that's what I think it said.

I understand you paid online but now a private sale must go through an Ffl and with the nics it at least 50.00

Glad Im not the only one here scratching my head over this.  Applied online through the NJSP per my PD's requested new way.  Received 4 emails from the NJSP within the first 5 days.  Approvals, criminal history, references etc. all went well.  Local PD wanted all copies received from NJSP.  Dropped everything off without a problem on day 7.  Paid my $2.00 to local PD and they stated they needed no further from me.  Im currently sitting day 22 without another word or any form of communication.  I was semi optimistic the first week, but not so much now.  

For me, the FFL I'm going to will charge me $35 for the NICS and transfer, which I think its fairly inexpensive compared to what it could be.

But this is what kills me - I just went through (am going through) a 40+ day proctology exam with the state and local PD going over my entire history - criminal background check, mental health check - WHY DO I NEED TO PAY YET AGAIN FOR ANOTHER background check?!?!?!?!?

Oh, that's right - its "common sense gun control" :whatever:

3 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

For me, the FFL I'm going to will charge me $35 for the NICS and transfer, which I think its fairly inexpensive compared to what it could be.

But this is what kills me - I just went through (am going through) a 40+ day proctology exam with the state and local PD going over my entire history - criminal background check, mental health check - WHY DO I NEED TO PAY YET AGAIN FOR ANOTHER background check?!?!?!?!?

Oh, that's right - its "common sense gun control" :whatever:

That's what pisses me off paying twice for the same thing. Just makes no senc