IGNORED

Tick yard treatment?

jerseybowhunter

I plant wildflowers around the back end of our yard that backs up against the woods. I rake about 5 yards back to allow the soil to dry out...then when I cut trim our cedar-like shrubs, I lay a lot of the clippings down to go into the soil that act as a natural barrier. If they get through that, they'll get to where I plant wildflowers that naturally contain pyrethrin which is leached into the soil. It works wonders. 

Edited by chenrossi

22 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

6-8 0unces of 10% permethrin per gallon of water.  Use water base if you're yard runs off into water.  Don't spray flowers.  A gallon is about $60 at tsc.  One shot will last the summer.  I also hear Seven  granules works well.

I will second on the granules, they work well

AWM

I put down grub killer granules around the outside of my fenced-in back yard.  There are kennels inside the fence for the dogs.  Two passes give me about 5-6 ft of barrier.   On both the outside and the inside bottom foot or so of the wooden fence I spray permethrin.    I get VERY few ticks, or for that matter any kind of bugs  into the yard.   I also do sulfur and mothballs to keep the snakes out.  We have tons of black snakes hereabouts and I do not need the dogs getting into it with them.   

I find 5 and 6 ft. long skins all the time. 

RayG