IGNORED

First car accident

Ringtail

23 hours ago, BHC said:

Always get a police report.... 

That's what I tell everyone in my family, however, when you have low-life douchebag it might not make the difference as was the case with my daughter's accident last week and you have a Lodi Police Officer that simply writes down the statements of both drivers and does nothing when it's obvious of the two drivers is driving.  Even fails to tell my daughter the other drivers said she sideswiped him even though he admitted to her before the cops arrived that it was his fault.  And I had instructed my daughter to offer him going outside of insurance so his rates don't go up. 

One word....KARMA! 

Glad you didn't get hurt.  Once it's established nobody is hurt snap a picture of the other car's plate incase the other driver decides to change his/her mind and get cute and take off.  Always call the cops and file a police report.  You don't always have to file a claim with the insurance company.  Always stay out of harm's way even if in the shoulder stay on the other side of the guardrail because a bad situation can get worse. 

Edited by Live to Hunt

Wow, when I worked every accident was investigated fully.  Drivers statements, detailed diagram, and a summons issued in most cases where the driver at fault was identified.   It doesn't take that much effort to get a statement from both drivers, draw a diagram, and give an opinion as to who was at fault in the investigation.  This helps the driver who was driving cautiously and not at fault.

Of course if the police are not notified then they can't do much. ;)  I know other departments or states may not do all of the above.  But, it is nice to have a police officer who is trained in accident investigation writing up a nice report for you when some aggressive or careless driver crashes into you.

Glad you were not hurt.  Learning experience.

Edited by Nomad