IGNORED

Deer Minerals

Lunatic

Guys just a little add to this mineral conversation. Spent a lot of time on this topic and one thing I haven’t seen anyone bring up is ground prep for your mineral site.  The goal here is to have deer hit your ground site to take in minerals to help does with lactation along with helping bucks grow bigger antlers.  So one can assume one of the biggest factors is the amount in which is absorbed. You can’t control how much they eat but your can potentially help them absorb more of what they do eat by prepping your site. The dirt is loaded with parasites and bacteria. Yes, the deer are living outside and are exposed to many of them already. But when you attract deer to a single spot and have them digging and licking the ground in groups why not give them the best shot at success. Usually about 3 weeks before a site will be setup I would use fast acting Ag Lime and spread it in a 6 foot circle.  It will kill off a lot of the crap and give you a better starting point.  Not imperative but certainly can’t hurt. Best of luck out there 

55 minutes ago, Lphunsjr said:

Anyone in central Jersey know where to get di-calcium phosphate? Tried AG-U and Tractor supply to no avail. Looking for 50lb bag

I’m not familiar with your area but contact your local Agway. They can order DiCal for you. I order the stuff from the Agway in Morris Plains every year. $31.99 for 50#. the “part number” on my invoice is 59422001.

14 hours ago, Merkel said:

I’m not familiar with your area but contact your local Agway. They can order DiCal for you. I order the stuff from the Agway in Morris Plains every year. $31.99 for 50#. the “part number” on my invoice is 59422001.

Thank you. I will try the one in Columbus

if you compare ratios/ingredients to Record rack minerals, the cattle mineral is real close.

FYI, I made up my own, along with trace minerals and salt and I got less action. Now this may be due to using Record rack the yr previous and they didn't like the change. I've decided to stick with the Record rack. I'm only using the mineral sites for inventory on bucks. It can help lactating does so that's a plus.

18 hours ago, megavites said:

Thanks for sharing. I didn’t know about this.  It’s about $6 cheaper than the Di-calcium I bought at Agway.  I did notice the calcium and phosphorus ingredients are less than those in the Agway. As an example, calcium in TSC = 12%-14% vs 20-24% Agway.  Not sure if that has a measurable impact on the deer but will think about trying next time.  Thanks !

12 minutes ago, Merkel said:

Thanks for sharing. I didn’t know about this.  It’s about $6 cheaper than the Di-calcium I bought at Agway.  I did notice the calcium and phosphorus ingredients are less than those in the Agway. As an example, calcium in TSC = 12%-14% vs 20-24% Agway.  Not sure if that has a measurable impact on the deer but will think about trying next time.  Thanks !

Picked it up yesterday. It does have molasses in it as well. I will post my results

Edited by Lphunsjr