IGNORED

Clover plot - inactive

My clovers replenished since the summer dried them out..

I planted brassicas and they are coming in nicely.

I have not seen a deer feeding in the clovers for several weeks now. Camera went cold.

Plenty if corn available but I thought they would continue using the clovers I to the season.

1536101477230.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

88394432-AFD2-4F5F-BB02-93032937F3E3.jpeg

Edited by Live to Hunt

Jay its called the zone 5 blues....   Lots of master baiters near you - the guy that hunts and baits the horse farm near you and also near where I hunt, dumps thousands of pounds of apples and corn starting about mid-August.  It's an up-hill battle you are fighting...  Best thing you can do is keep focusing on improving COVER so 75% of your acreage is thick bedding...    There is so much food natural and bait piles in zone 5 the last thing they need is another food plot or bait pile but the sure do need cover.   Plus - all the food plots and bait piles in the world still can't compete with naturally falling white oak acorns...   Also it is a very bad year for apples in the area, so if you can get some, try that instead of corn as not many trees are yielding so it could be a major draw. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Jay its called the zone 5 blues....   Lots of master baiters near you - the guy that hunts and baits the horse farm near you and also near where I hunt, dumps thousands of pounds of apples and corn starting about mid-August.  It's an up-hill battle you are fighting...  Best thing you can do is keep focusing on improving COVER so 75% of your acreage is thick bedding...    There is so much food natural and bait piles in zone 5 the last thing they need is another food plot or bait pile but the sure do need cover.   Plus - all the food plots and bait piles in the world still can't compete with naturally falling white oak acorns...   Also it is a very bad year for apples in the area, so if you can get some, try that instead of corn as not many trees are yielding so it could be a major draw. 
I have deer on my bait..40 yards from the clover.. so they are here, but they aren't eating the clover for some reason.

Deer have lots of food options right now. Corn, beans, apples, natural vegetation, acorns and bait piles. 

Clover is important to have as it can feed deer longer than probably any other food you could plant. 

If I could only plant one food source, it would be clover. 

Deer are starting to feel pressure now, they are getting a little more spooky for sure. They may not feel safe feeding in the open yard. Do you have a dog?

www.liftxrentals.com

It's that time of year everything is changing.  Testosterone levels are rising.  I watched three dinks sparring the other night.  I'm finding fresh scrapes all over the place.  Bigger bucks are separating from each other and day time sightings (in open areas) will dwindle.  And does want nothing to do with any of it.  Aside from the obvious (pressure from hunters) there's one more thing happening... the rut has begun.  Most people will think I'm nuts for saying that, but those who understand the rut will agree.      

Also. I think clover produces and provides more protein in the spring compaired to the fall.  Think I read that somewhere.

Edited by B B

Deer ignoring a clover plot is a phenomenon I’ve experinced, not quite sure why it happens other than the obvious being the plethora of available food sources right now and the bait piles. That clover will become a preferred food source again at some point, probably during the late season. Once they decide clover is what they want, there will be a lot of Deer in that plot. Give it a jolt  of 0-20-20, that might sweeten it up. 

Deer have lots of food options right now. Corn, beans, apples, natural vegetation, acorns and bait piles. 
Clover is important to have as it can feed deer longer than probably any other food you could plant. 
If I could only plant one food source, it would be clover. 
Deer are starting to feel pressure now, they are getting a little more spooky for sure. They may not feel safe feeding in the open yard. Do you have a dog?
I do have a dog.. as do all my neighbors.
My dog doesnt bother the deer. She doesnt bark or chase them. Shes never out alone.. always with me.

I'm shocked the night time activity is non existant tho. Late spring the spotlight was on all night long and deer were feeding..
Now they prefer the corn bait pile all night long.wondering if clovers taste gets worse late summer?

Now the brassicas are growing I dont wanna drive over them all and mow.. I weed whacked the weeds taking care not to hit the brassicas. I got a ton of nut grass growing I'm trying to keep at bay without spraying.