IGNORED

Mantle finishing help..

Psehunter

Final pulled the trigger to have a wood stove insert done. The company comes in August to start ripping the old out framing and putting in the new..I'm having it stoned and I just picked up a log mantle that is not finish. Anyone know of a good place in the Vernon Butler Oakland area that would finish it ...I though about doing it my self but this thing was expensive and I don't want to mess it up..any suggestions would be great, I searched online but cant find anyone.

Edited by Psehunter

I'm just nervous trying it, this log cost me $600 .....do you stain and the do a clear or do you just leave it stained??? And what about the cracks?? I've read to fill them them with epoxy and sand it....maybe I'll give it a shot

IMG_20180619_192447752.jpg

26 minutes ago, Rusty said:

I couldn't agree more, it's not hard and it's very satisfying to do it yourself.  Like the others have said, practice on some sample pieces first.  

Keep us posted on the progress.  :up: 

As soon as they start I'll post some pictures or before and after

1 hour ago, Psehunter said:

I'm just nervous trying it, this log cost me $600 .....do you stain and the do a clear or do you just leave it stained??? And what about the cracks?? I've read to fill them them with epoxy and sand it....maybe I'll give it a shot. 

Let it crack, it adds authenticity and it won't compromise the structural integrity of the wood.  

You can get products that are both stain and finish in one.    

I bought this 18 foot (8" x 12") beam, rough cut and unfinished, when our living room ceiling started to sag.  I used a stain/finish combination.  It cracked a bit but the beam is still solid after 25 years.  

IMG_2582.JPG

Edited by Rusty

14 hours ago, Psehunter said:

Final pulled the trigger to have a wood stove insert done. The company comes in August to start ripping the old out framing and putting in the new..I'm having it stoned and I just picked up a log mantle that is not finish. Anyone know of a good place in the Vernon Butler Oakland area that would finish it ...I though about doing it my self but this thing was expensive and I don't want to mess it up..any suggestions would be great, I searched online but cant find anyone.

Who did you end up using for the insert purchase and install?

Leave the cracks. It adds character. 

Are you installing it yourself? How do you plan on attaching it?

If you are ever looking for another log mantle, I bought 2 over the years at Reipoffs sawmill in Allentown Nj for around $150 each

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

Stain alone won't seal the wood, unless you use a stain /sealer 'all in one' combo.  I would still put 2-3 coats of poly over that to protect it when your wife decides to put flower pots on it.  Easier to keep clean, too.  Sand lightly between coats with 220 or finer grit, being careful not to go through to the stain on the high spots.  You can get a flat finish if you don't want a glossy look.

if the color you want to stain it is too dark/hides too much grain, thin it with turpentine(for oil base stain) until you get the shade you want.  You can also pickle it any color by using latex paint, and thinning it with around 2-3 parts water depending on how much grain you want showing.  Make test patches on the back side first, until you get it the way you want it.

Edited by Greybeard