IGNORED

Tuna Rod Question

Cousin Brown

Looking to get some new tuna rods, trolling , chunking, all around on a boat with outboards....  What brand do you guys like? What length? What weight class? Etc....

Most likely putting avet exw 30/2 and exw 50/2 on them.  Thanks.

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen. :cheers:

Ugly Stick Tiger Lite - are a great, reasonably priced tuna caliber rods for jigging and chunking... Very light, extremely strong. I have caught sharks up to 300lbs on mine which you wouldn't think possible looking at it and feeling how light it is. I would go with roller guides and longer rods 6' rods for trolling..

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Stop by the Penn booth at the Salt water show this weekend. They are going to have the new international rods there.

I went with the ALLY series last year

with the 50's I paired it to MODEL # ALLBW50100C60RS

with the 30's I paired it to MODEL # ALLBW3080C60RS

very reasonably priced rods 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Advancements in rod design last few years are amazing in what they can do and handle.

Speak to a quality rod builder. Some can be had for same price as mass produced rods off the shelf and you'll get a rod that can do what you want.

In my opinion, Shimano is making the best reels out there and their rods are good too. You looking for 50 or 30 ? Hard to beat the Shimano Talica reels. Penn does not come close in comparison. The talica reels aee awesome. I use them for chunking & jigging. I have count countless bluefin on the talica. Trolling yoy could go with avet or shimano, but jig or chunk....shimano.

In my opinion, Shimano is making the best reels out there and their rods are good too. You looking for 50 or 30 ? Hard to beat the Shimano Talica reels. Penn does not come close in comparison. The talica reels aee awesome. I use them for chunking & jigging. I have count countless bluefin on the talica. Trolling yoy could go with avet or shimano, but jig or chunk....shimano.

Shimano , Avet , Penn all make great stuff, and I'm betting you haven't even seen the new Penn VIS reels or rods. As they cant make the new series fast enough.

Penn has stepped up their game the last few years and have made great improvements on their line up .

Check out the winners circles at many of the tourneys, the best in the business have Penn on their boats. and are a big part of the new designs 

For BIG Bluefin I'm seeing more of the Avet TRX   being used.

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

Looking to get some new tuna rods, trolling , chunking, all around on a boat with outboards.... What brand do you guys like? What length? What weight class? Etc....

Most likely putting avet exw 30/2 and exw 50/2 on them. Thanks.

United composites or thrasher would be my goto rods i have a thrasher 60-100 being made now

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Shimano , Avet , Penn all make great stuff, and I'm betting you haven't even seen the new Penn VIS reels or rods. As they cant make the new series fast enough.

Penn has stepped up their game the last few years and have made great improvements on their line up .

Check out the winners circles at many of the tourneys, the best in the business have Penn on their boats. and are a big part of the new designs 

For BIG Bluefin I'm seeing more of the Avet TRX   being used.

Many years ago, there was no equal to Penn reels. Somewhere along the way, they lost their pride. I saw numerous penn reels w severe problems. They made a "bait runner" style reel that locked up and their international reels had gear problems too. I have not used any of their new rods. The old tuna sticks were not fancy, but got the job done. Unfortunately, once I switched over to Shimano....I would not think of using any other reel. Rods are decent too. There is no sw spinning reel better than the Stella and I am beyond impressed by the talica reels.

Many years ago, there was no equal to Penn reels. Somewhere along the way, they lost their pride. I saw numerous penn reels w severe problems. They made a "bait runner" style reel that locked up and their international reels had gear problems too. I have not used any of their new rods. The old tuna sticks were not fancy, but got the job done. Unfortunately, once I switched over to Shimano....I would not think of using any other reel. Rods are decent too. There is no sw spinning reel better than the Stella and I am beyond impressed by the talica reels.

Stella is def a reel that proven itself, though I have seen enough of them smoked too.and for over grand they should never break

Shimano rods I really don't care for. they seem to copy the black hole lines. But are no where near to having as good a rod.

Penn had issues and through that the new reels were designed . That's part of the evolving industry.

everything gets built better every year, rods , reels, line , and everything to do with tackle.

looking back to ten years ago stuff everyone thought  was great is crude by todays standards

heres the old reel  and the new one . lots of changes inside them 

international.jpg

Vis.jpg

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

I do like the United Composite rods, also thinking of going to Bogan and make some up. I have used Penn and cant complain, I have battled some big tuna and sharks with them, however Im looking for something different so Im thinking Avets (also looking lighter since the kids are gonna be going soon& Im getting older...).  I will keep the talicas in mind when I do my jigging/chunking set ups.  Now what length.....Hmmmmm....... 

Edited by Cousin Brown

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen. :cheers: