IGNORED

Man Stuff - March 10

Rusty

We did a 4-stage mash yesterday.  121, 131, 148, and 154.  Took about 2.5 hours for the entire mash.  I was worried because we had a bunch of Munich in there which needs a ton of enzymes to convert the starches.  Gravity at pitch was around 1.094.  I think that's going to need to sit for a while.  Tried to stay out of the alpha amylase to avoid getting unfermentable sugars.  

OOOhh...you do a Hefeweizen? Did you do a decoction? That 4 stage sounds like it will be good.

Yea....those unfermentables will smell good later ;) 

That's some nice looking cedar you got there.  Got any projects in mind for it? 

Firewood. Unfortunately, it was split all of the way down except for the first three feet. So, I cut it up.

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

OOOhh...you do a Hefeweizen? Did you do a decoction? That 4 stage sounds like it will be good.

Yea....those unfermentables will smell good later ;)

We don't make hefe's, but I have a recipe.

All of our mashes are decoction.  We actually find them easier to do and have more control over temperature.  The dough-in is a .75 water to grain ratio, the next step is infusion, bringing the temp up and the w/g ratio to 1.25.  The last three (mash out being the third) are all decoctions.

The recipe is for a porter but instead of measuring out pilsner, we grabbed the wrong bag and measured in Munich.  Added some 2-row and pilsner to make sure we had some enzymes, but the gravity is sky high now.  I'm not sure the yeast is going to ferment everything out, so it might be a sweet porter, but it'll definitely have a kick to it.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

My buddy is having his 40th birthday dinner that night, gonna have to leave the wood cutting party early...so Jay will have to operate on an even faster timeline! :D

I'll have your deer head ready for you. It should be done sooner, but I doubt you wanna drive up 1-2 weeks sooner just for the head.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk