IGNORED

Concerned hunters regarding unlimited doe harvesting

It would be a game-changer for sure. That's a hard genie to put back in the bottle

To each his own. I’m not one to tell anyone how to hunt. But if you wanna see deer movement increase it’s a giant step in the right direction. They will have to move to eat. Guys will have to pattern and move and hunt them. I would say a portion of the “lack of deer” isn’t really a lack of deer. More so a lack of deer movement. Just bc you aren’t seeing them doesn’t mean they aren’t there

Edited by Livesintrees

To each his own. I’m not one to tell anyone how to hunt. But if you wanna see deer movement increase it’s a giant step in the right direction. They will have to move to eat. Guys will have to pattern and move and hunt them. I would say a portion of the “lack of deer” isn’t really a lack of deer. More so a lack of deer movement.

A significant portion of NJ deer hunters are squatters and baiters.... They are tired of the public land BS, and get access to one or more "backyard" woodlots...   With only a few acres to hunt, baiting is about the only way to "pattern" deer and get them to come in, since they can't just go to them.    If you have access to big private farms and/or big private woods,  it's much easier for a hunter to take deer on their natural patterns and natural food sources.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I could remember as kid go hunting, driving down 80 west early in the morning or at evening and counting deer in the fields as we drove past. This past Saturday we had our last pheasant hunt and had my son in the car and took that same drive. We did not see a single deer for the whole drive, that is just not right. 

We also hunt private land in PA, surrounded by state land. About 12 years ago they started selling doe permits, within 3-4 years the deer population was destroyed. All the hunters took a stand and for the past 3-4 years they only allow doe shooting during the 2nd week of rifle season. That made a huge impact and brought back the deer population. 

After reading all this . I feel everyone is basically on the same page and everyone has an idea of how to do it.  The main problem is that everyone thinks nothing we say or do will ever come to fruition.  Where are the big interest groups  UBNJ , Outdoor Alliance, and The NJ State Federation of Sportsman ?? We need their help and their ideas if we ever want to get anything changed in this state, because the state is not going to listen to us as individuals.  Its all about the mighty dollar,  and this state and the sportsman both know that.  Thats just how I feel and I know most of the guys I hunt with feel the same way.  Thats about all I have...   Thanks 

You can certainly be greedy by following the law. The law allows a hunter to kill over 30 deer in my area. Knowing that there are basically 2 deer for every one hunter, if you are killing 5, 6 or 10 deer a year, you are being greedy because those deer are now gone and other hunters don't have a chance to kill them. Even moreso on public land. If someone is filling all the tags the law allows on public land, without regard for the others who hunt there, yeah, absolutely being greedy. Greed has to do with what you need vs what you want, the law makes no such distinction. Being lawful can absolutely also be greedy.

One thing I always find interesting about this point, counter-point stuff is the so-called "meat hunters" always say horn hunters are being greedy or forcing people to hunt they way they want them to hunt, while completely ignoring that by forcing horn hunters to hunt under a system that caters to meat hunters instead of what they want, meat hunters are forcing horn hunters to hunt as they (meat hunters) want. It's a two way street. If the regs favor the mature deer hunter, than the shoot anything crowd is being "forced" to hunt as they horn hunter wants, true. But it's also true that when the regs favor the shoot anything crowd, the "meat hunters" are forcing their way of hunting on everyoine else as well. Many seem to forget that. 

Just for clarification, my intense trophy hunting phase is over. I still like to hunt for a mature buck but I also hunt for venison pastrami, tacos, fajita's, chili, roasts, backstraps, goulash, curry, cheese steaks, etc. I don't really care if someone shoots a small buck but if they shoot more than 2 bucks, even though it's legal, I believe that's being greedy, sorry. 

Again, I respectfully DISAGREE with your definition of greed.  If a guy wants to provide as much for himself and family as the law allows without relying on purchasing meat from the store that is called self sufficiency, not greed, and I support that effort 100%. The idea of forcing someone to do something such as buying meat when he can legally hunt for it is not my idea of freedom.  No one forces a horn hunter to pick the buck he wants to shoot. 

Forcing someone to buy meat is what my original point was in regard to a comment someone else made.  

Again, I respectfully DISAGREE with your definition of greed.  If a guy wants to provide as much for himself and family as the law allows without relying on purchasing meat from the store that is called self sufficiency, not greed, and I support that effort 100%. The idea of forcing someone to do something such as buying meat when he can legally hunt for it is not my idea of freedom.    

It's not "my" definition of greed...it's the definition of greed: taking excessive amounts of something. You are saying it's okay if the law allows it. That is a judgement decision but it's still greedy. The law doesn't say you can't be greedy. 

As far as "forcing" someone to buy meat...that's a stretch, unless you want no regulations at all. Some people will claim they want to eat deer 5 or 6 days a week, every week, and if you don't let them kill as many deer as they want to accomplish that, you are "forcing" them to buy meat. I just call that sensible regulation. 

Edited by DV1

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.