IGNORED

Turkey decoys?

DBuck

I'm not real big on using decoys, mostly because I hate caring them around. But sometimes I take them out with me. I've read a few articles on using decoys and they mostly say that the more realistic the better. What kind of decoys do you guys use and what is your set up?

I'm the same way - I only take them out a few times because I hate carrying them around. But I had an awesome experience last year with them - I had a jake/hen pair (those realistic decoys - Avian-X I think they are - you'd swear they are real from a distance) - had a pair of toms come in and bee-lined right for my decoys. The "alpha" tom approached my jake and pecked at my decoy's head trying to get it to fight I guess. Shot him in the head once he moved a couple feet away - I'm not shooting a $100 decoy :)

I never liked carrying them either, but the ones I have had for several years and care to use are the inflatable kind. Don't take up much space for me in back of my vest when they are flat and if I need one I have it. I've killed most of mine without one over the years but in certain conditions they work great

Edited by Silver Belly62

the ones I have had for several years and care to use are the inflatable kind.

If I do it's a rainy day set up in a blind

I only use them when I hunt in an open field.

All these comments remind me of a fall turkey I got a few years ago. It was pouring buckets that morning - but everyone told me "when its raining, get to a field" so I decided to go out. I get there pre-dawn and I'm rushing around getting my doghouse blind set up on the edge of a field as I'm getting soaked by the rain. At this time I didn't have my expensive Avian-X decoys yet - I had some cheap inflatable decoys - a set of 4 of them. Well, I put those four out along the edge of this cut corn field and it took a while, but I ended up having a flock of about a half-dozen hens walk right into them! Shot my first fall hen then and there. Yeah, it was only a hen but tom or no tom, I had one memorable morning that day and I wasn't being picky while in that pouring rain :) . Still pouring as I was packing up to leave - had to rush to get the truck, load up my gear, throw the turkey in the back... it was crazy but loads of fun.

Anyway - yeah, inflatable decoys on the edge of a field in the rain in a blind - works for me!  :up:

2014-11-01-1000-fall-turkey2.jpg2014-11-01-1000-fall-turkey3.jpg

I'm not real big on using decoys, mostly because I hate caring them around. But sometimes I take them out with me. I've read a few articles on using decoys and they mostly say that the more realistic the better. What kind of decoys do you guys use and what is your set up?

I don't like carrying them around either, so I only use my decoys on the private piece of ground that I hunt. When I'm done, I put the decoys in the blind til my next hunt and follow that process throughout the season. On public ground, I'll just call. I see all of these expensive decoys and believe me, some of the work is outstanding, but I use two hens from Lodge Outfitters (Dick's brand) and a funky chicken decoy and have killed gobblers just like the hunters with the $200 decoys.