IGNORED

squirrel have the toughest skin

mazzgolf

Is it me or do squirrels have one of the toughest skin of the game animals?

Someone must have a tip on how to skin these things easier. I try and try to do that "make a slit under the tail, step on the tail, and pull up on the legs and take off the sweater" but it never works. Tail rips off, and I have to then cut around the mid-section and take off the shirt and pants separately and make a mess while doing it.

I went this morning for an hour and got one from 30 feet up a tree. Though I should stop watching videos like this one, or I'm going to start feeling bad shooting them in the head.  :lookaround:

I cut them around the belly and back then pull from both directions with blowfish pullers.  Works good.  I also cut the legs off at the first joint.

That's basically how I end up doing it when I rip the tail off :)

I'm still laughing at that first video though  :rofl: hellothere Iamafatlittlesquirrelsittingonyourporch thankyouverymuchforthesedelicouswalnuts Iwillbesuretocomebacktomorrowtogetsomemorewalnuts youareaveryniceperson youaremyfavouritepersonintheneighbourhood ilikeyouloveyouloveyou

Uh oh, here's another one. I know I shouldn't watch, but I can't help it....

Come on! It's me! Open up! Hello, can I have a walnut please? Oh, thank you! Bye! ... Oh, that's a beauty. Thanks. See you in a bit.

Tried the tip from that video Stan posted. I'm still not very good at it, and still takes me too long to do it, but it definitely worked out better than the tail method.  :happy:

It's the last day of the season, so I had to go out and try one last time to see if I can get one more. Got him this evening with just about one more hour left of shooting time - nothing like waiting till the last moment! Butchered in the field while he was still warm - this is the end result ... just like the video :D Got a few more in the freezer... Now I just gotta make something good with them!

prepared-squirrel.jpg

Tried the tip from that video Stan posted. I'm still not very good at it, and still takes me too long to do it, but it definitely worked out better than the tail method.  :happy:

It's the last day of the season, so I had to go out and try one last time to see if I can get one more. Got him this evening with just about one more hour left of shooting time - nothing like waiting till the last moment! Butchered in the field while he was still warm - this is the end result ... just like the video :D Got a few more in the freezer... Now I just gotta make something good with them!

attachicon.gifprepared-squirrel.jpg

Glad to help. I honestly think the "step on the tail method" works well if you crack them in the head, and skin them while they are warm, but I usually shoot them with a shotgun, and I think that having holes in the hide negates the whole process. Bon apetit!

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook: