IGNORED

Return To The Big Belts

Woodsman416

I just firmed up plans to return to the Big Belt mountains of Montana next September for a pack in bowhunt for elk. Hopefully the drought and fires that are plaguing the west this year will be long over. Following will be pictures from two years ago. It's tough hunting and I'm in better shape now than I was last time but I'll step up my conditioning over the next year to prepare. 

We packed in seven miles to a camp that a friend of mine outfits out of in Helena National Forest. After a couple of days I split off from the others, packed a teepee camp up to the top of a mountain so that I could hunt a valley on the other side called the blowout. I spent three days up there and hunted hard, came close to getting a shot at a huge herd bull but it didn't happen. Bowhunting's like that!

Edited by Woodsman416

My teepee camp. I spent three days alone up here. I'd wake up at sunrise, eat a little something and hunt my way to the bottom of the blowout. 900 feet of elevation drop. That was the easy part. Climbing back out in the evening was kinda rough on a flatlander. At night the wind would blow constantly. It was soothing and I slept well.

041.JPG

Edited by Woodsman416

Looking right to left down into the blowout. This spot is not far from my camp. I couldn't climb down here. I had to swing north where the slope is more gradual. The plan was, if I killed an elk down there, gut it, quarter it and hang it up in the trees. THAN climb back up 900 feet back to camp and grab my backpack. THAN hike back down Third creek 3 miles to the main camp and grab horses. THAN ride back up and down pack it up and ride back to camp! It almost happened too!

048.JPG

047.JPG

049.JPG

Edited by Woodsman416